Thread: Problem with Freud 1702VCE router

Problem with Freud 1702VCE router

About five - six years ago I bought my son this combination router kit through Rocklers. Because of job responsibilities, kids, etc. he has rarely had time to use it. He said that he has probably been able to use it less than 10 times. I used it once, and it worked very well. The other day he called me, thrilled to be able to work on a project over his Christmas break, but that the router wouldn't work. He said it would start, work a little bit, then stop or lose power, then work, but then stop entirely. After awhile, it would start again, but then go through the same procedure. He called Freud, but they said the this division had been sold. Any ideas on this or what to do?

Probably speed control module failing. Sometimes lack of use will cause electrolytic caps to fail even quicker than regular use. If you are comfortable with pc board repair, it may be fairly easily repairable(assuming it isn't potted in epoxy). Otherwise seems Freud parts are drying up quickly. I checked several of my usual sources and no go. Time for a new router?

The first thing I'd try is blowing any dust out of it, and see if it helps.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have that router and have not had a problem, however the switch on that router always seem a bit finicky. I would check that after blowing it out and exercising the switch with the power off.