Thread: Infinity Sawstop ZCI?

Infinity Sawstop ZCI?

There was some discussion on this a while back and some were having trouble with the blade hitting an uncut insert. Anyone bought them recently? Has this problem been solved?

Also, how hard is it to make your own inserts?

Hi Matt,
    I bought one 2 weeks ago and there was no problem with the blade hitting the uncut inserts. However, there was a problem with the inner small anti-kick back palws not clearing the opening of the replaceable inserts that it lift up the ZCI when the blade is lower all the way down. What I did was just remove the 2 smaller anti kick back pawls from the blade guard and everything worked fine. Hope this helps.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    There was some discussion on this a while back and some were having trouble with the blade hitting an uncut insert. Anyone bought them recently? Has this problem been solved?

Also, how hard is it to make your own inserts?

Matt,
    My first ZCI from them had the clearance issues. Infinity replaced with a new one, and it works fine. You will be happy with it, I think.

Matt, it is very easy to make own inserts. I did it and it is work well.
    Ed

Thanks. Have the ZCI system and a couple packs of replacement inserts on order--fairly reasonable with free shipping but if I had to order one or two packs and pay shipping I'd probably make them instead.

This system looks like a lot more cost effective approach than the OEM inserts at $40 a piece.

6. Old thread, I know, but did any of the ZCI's yall recently bought from Infinity come with the ability to use the lock down handle from an original SawStop ZCI? Their website doesn't show it, but I see lots of pics on the web of their insert with the SawStop handle on it.

I had to remove the handle from a sawstop ZCI to use in the Infinity ZCI. The Infinity ZCI did not come with a handle.

8. When did you buy it? I heat there was a legal issue with the design with the lock down, so it was pulled for the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stubblefield View Post
    When did you buy it? I heat there was a legal issue with the design with the lock down, so it was pulled for the current version.
    I have the model that uses the SS lockdown, and now I am curious, where did you hear this?

10. Other than the person I spoke with, this is public information as posted by one of the creators of the insert: Jack Colliflower http://lumberjocks.com/comments/1457120 (if this doesn't work, go to http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/3105 and scroll down to Jack's post)

I found this after my post above, and after I heard elsewhere about the design change.

I got mine about 6 weeks ago. After I ordered it Infinity sent a email indicating a problem with the blade contacting the insert and would ship when redesigned. I checked it out in the saw and can see no way for it to hit. It has a finger hole to remove instead of using the SS handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stubblefield View Post
    When did you buy it? I heat there was a legal issue with the design with the lock down, so it was pulled for the current version.
    I got mine when they originally came out.

Placing an order for one of these today, just wanted to give this thread a bump to ask how those that have made their own custom blank inserts went about doing so. What is the angle on the bevel they use?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I took delivery Friday of the plate and a package of extra wooden inserts. The plate fits tightly, which is a good thing overall, but means you need to be deliberate when putting it in. I adjusted the levelers and it fits the table nicely. Then I raised my blade up through the wooden insert and it came up very nicely. The blade went all the way up without any interference from the plate. I can now use it with my Dado set and make ZCI's for each Dado size I end up making. I like it very much. I had a similar one for my Unisaw and was surprised when I found out that these were relatively new. Anyway, it has my vote. You will be happy with it I believe.

Ohh - one problem, but I don't think it matters at all. They provide a couple of small wood screws for you to fix the wooden insert into the plate. IMHO they aren't at all necessary, but I put them in. They don't cut it at all - they had both fallen out into the sawdust of my dust collector on my first use. Leave them out - no need at all.

JB
    Last edited by Joe Beaulieu; 12-07-2015 at 6:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Placing an order for one of these today, just wanted to give this thread a bump to ask how those that have made their own custom blank inserts went about doing so. What is the angle on the bevel they use?
    Ben, the process isn't hard. I used 1/4" MDF. Rip blanks to width with the appropriate bevel angle - it's been years since I made mine but looking at my blanks, I'm seeing maybe 30 (or rather, 60 on the TS) degrees as a good starting point. You can just line up their insert once it arrives with your TS and tilt the blade appropriately. At this point you have a rectangular blank with beveled long sides.

Then one end gets a slight curve cut (bandsaw or scrollsaw or jigsaw) to follow the contour of the plate.

The other end gets a shallow cross rabbet and its corners filed down.
    Last edited by Victor Robinson; 12-07-2015 at 6:49 PM.