Thread: Cabinet Crown Molding

Cabinet Crown Molding

I have recently seen a chart indicating the amount of space needed above a cabinet for the various sizes of crown moldings. I realize that will dependent on were the crown is attached to the upper rail but assuming one inch down from the top of the upper rail how far above the cabinet will the various size crown moldings measure. Anyone familiar with the chart I saw?

Charlie

Charlie---

I've installed miles of crown moldings. Every maker of crown molding makes their version a little different. Best to take your measurements directly from the molding you want to use (or make your own to the dimensions you prefer.)

The most common "spring angle" for crown is 38 degrees, but there are a lot of variations. A common 3 1/4" crown will approximately follow these dimensions:

crown (1-19-14).png

Other sizes with that spring angle will be proportionately sized. Hope this helps

I'm with Jerry......I can't imagine a generic chart that would cover all mfg's/styles. Best to select the moulding you want first and then plan your top rail reveal and cabinet placement accordingly.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    +1 on the above. Even the variation of two runs of the same moulding from the same manufacturer would make such a chart only an estimation.