Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Interest Question - WW Heroes

General Interest Question - WW Heroes

Who are your Woodworking Heroes?

Some of you may be lucky enough to name your father, grandfather, or a woodworking neighbor or teacher. Some household names which come to mind right away are the Stickley bros, FL Wright, or Sam Maloof. Who would you say has had the most influence on your woodworking ambition / directions / techniques / vision / goals?

I'm just interested in discovering other sources of inspiration.

Thanks!

Well, without Pappy I wouldn't be here, but as far as wwing goes, "Norm" was first and foremost before I even got started. There are a few others I've come to admire over the years...even some who can probably cut circles around Norm, but I still enjoy his show and EVERYONE equates him with wwing.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

By far my grandfather he was AMAZING. But I would have to say since his passing a few years ago it is David Marks.

James Krenov; the spiritual master of woodworking imo.

That guy at the shopping center 35 years ago who was using and promoting the Shopsmith. I thought some day I want to do that!

Corey

For inspiration to dig in...Norm Abram. For inspiration toward project design, Thos Moser and George Nakashima with a few other folks thrown in for good measure. No known woodworkers "in the family" and I didn't start until in my 40s...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Hays Shop at Colonial Williamsburg

Ever since my first visit to Colonial Williamsburg in the mid eighties - and with every visit since - I come away from there full of energy and enthusiasm. The current crew of Mack Headley and associates is super.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Nick Oprisu. Shop teacher in 6th grade. A required class for all boys. He made me start out with a cutting board sized piece of rough sawn ash. The job was to square it up on all six sides with a #5. The stated objective was to square up a board rather than to "make" something. It took weeks (if I recall right). Each time I thought I had it and asked for inspection, I learned that "close enough is not good enough"....(I am certain I recall that right). By the time I had it done to standard, it was perhaps 2" wide and 6" long and maybe half inch thick. But it was square on all six sides.

Having recently read "The Fine Art of Cabinet Making", Krenov must be near the top of the list. I also like what I have seen of David Charlesworth.
    Both of these men seem to approach woodworking with a warm reverence. Krenov in particular has a way of drawing in, including the reader in his musings, as if he were sitting right there having a conversation.

I'm just getting into woodworking, but an appreciation of what can be done with wood began when I got a look at some nice handmade guitars back in the seventies.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 06-13-2005 at 11:26 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Without a doubt Christian Becksvoort!

Next to my father, who introduced me to wood working on the Shopsmith in the late 1950's, I would say it would be R.J. Cristoforo.

The first book of his I read (Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone - published 1955) was on how to use the Shopsmith and all its attachments. It was extremely well written and illustrated. He subsequently wrote many good books on woodworking which I have found very helpful.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Norm would be the initial,as well as continual influence.Also David Marks.

John... Learning a bit from all @ SMC.
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

Although I was exposed to a variety of tools from a very young age by my grandfather, uncles and father, they weren't 'woodworkers'. I butchered a few small items over the years and bought a few books, but finally started getting 'the bug' by watching Norm.

Norm inspired me to try new things, including adapting ideas and designing items to suit my wife and me. Then, along came David Marks to 'kick it up a notch (or three)'. Between watching these two guys and reading about some of the works of many of the 'masters', I'm attempting things I never thought I could do.

On a local and more personal level, I have Vernon Blackadar to thank for pushing me to 'go public' with some of my work. Vern is a very accomplished woodworker and has been featured in national publications. He's a terrific person and always has time to discuss projects -- his and mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I never really had a mentor unfortunately. I used to like Norm until he used an industrial beltsander, the size of my woodshop, to sand the top of a dining room table. I would have to say that I've learned more on SMC in three months than I've learned on my own over the last 15-20 years. The accumulative knowledge here is astronomical.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Mike Dunbar(Windsor Chair guru). I was involved in woodworking long before this, but I happen to pick up his book on windsor chairs about 13 years ago, before his school really took off, and was very impressed and inspired by his philosophy and work. I have loved building chairs since then.

Richard