Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new favorite finish for walnut :)

Good point Lee. It's important to realize that Sam Maloof never bought his own branded finish. He mixed it himself.... only after many years did he (or his family) take his NAME to a finish company and consult to have them recreate his blended finish in a production setting and stick a label on it and sell it.

I am happy with the consistency of buying a pre-blended finish and don't mind paying 25 for a quart. Anyway, I build very slowly, so it will take me a while to use a whole quart. I'd rather spend my time on my construction and now I have my 2 go-to finishes. Sam Maloof's and Shellac.

Good tip and great video.....Thanks
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Deft Danish Oil is my preferred finish. I've been using it for 10-12 years. I used the Maloof finish before that. It's good, but the Deft danish oil has polyurethane instead of varnish in it.

It is easy to apply, quick to dry, doesn't scratch easily, and the build up gives a nice satin finish. You can make it glass out if you want to.

I was introduced to it at Homestead Heritage.

No Comment on Waterlox

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Deft Danish Oil is my preferred finish. I've been using it for 10-12 years. I used the Maloof finish before that. It's good, but the Deft danish oil has polyurethane instead of varnish in it.

It is easy to apply, quick to dry, doesn't scratch easily, and the build up gives a nice satin finish. You can make it glass out if you want to.

I was introduced to it at Homestead Heritage.
    In the video you did not comment on the Waterlox can which was the last in your group of cans? Any comments on Waterlox? I have used it quite a bit but with good results. My applications have been for more shinier finishes than the really nice wiped on look you had. Typically I would build up 2-3 layers and than sand with 320 and than do a final wipe on coat. As a novice I am just looking for other thoughts.

Thx

Gary
    Vaya con Dios

Due respect to Lowell, I disagree that the choice of varnish in Danish oil matters at all. When applied as an in-the wood finish, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between poly, alkyd or phenolic varnish.

Hey Gary, I like the results of most of the finishes including the waterlox, arm r seal, shellac and minwax wipe on poly. I just especially prefer the maloof finish. The other finishes are probably more protective and durable than shellac or the maloof finish, but they also appeared more plastic than the maloof finish. It is easier to say which finish I did not like and that was the masterpiece finish from highland woodworking. The formbys and watco finishes were fine, but not as nice IMHO.

Blog Entries
    I'm not selling anything, just responding as to what is my favorite finish. The Deft Danish Oil (my perception) provides a harder, more serviceable finish than others I have tried.

It is incredibly easy to apply. I've tried other danish oils, varnish, lacquer, and wipe on poly. It will soak into the wood to an extent, but it also forms a film.

It's nice that in our own shops, we can use what we want without apologies to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Howorka View Post
    In the video you did not comment on the Waterlox can which was the last in your group of cans? Any comments on Waterlox? I have used it quite a bit but with good results. My applications have been for more shinier finishes than the really nice wiped on look you had. Typically I would build up 2-3 layers and than sand with 320 and than do a final wipe on coat. As a novice I am just looking for other thoughts.
    I really like Waterlox. I find it easy to apply and I like the look. I don't care for the smell, which means I don't use it in the Winter because it is too cold for me to use the finish in my garage and I don't want to stink up my basement, especially if I can't open my windows.

I built a large Mahogany computer desk and finished it with waterlox (including in the cabinets). I let it air out for a very long time before final assembly (probably a month or two) and I have not noticed any interior odors. After it was cold, I built a small two drawer chest that sits on one of the shelves in my computer cabinet hutch. I finished that with an amber shellac. They are similar in appearance, but, the Waterlox definitely has a nicer look to it. Of course, if I did not say anything, you might not notice.

So I know the Deft builds faster (has more solids) than Watco, but where do you guys find Deft. Around here all the stores carry is Watco.

Blog Entries
    I buy mine from Klingspor mail order.

It will arrive in a few days.