Thread: Asian Theme G&G Coffee Table

Asian Theme G&G Coffee Table

Here is my most recent project, a coffee table built for my son and his wife. Because of their decor, they wanted something Asian themed. Conceptually it started out that way, but the arts and crafts part of me started to make changes and this is what I ended up with.

The woods are walnut, maple, tulip poplar, and a bit of padauk. I also tried my hand at some wire inlay just for fun.

Just thought that I would share because it's so different from anything that I've done before.

I'm not much of a photographer. These were taken in full Winter sun and seem a bit washed out.

IMG_1035 Top.jpg

IMG_1036 Full.jpg

IMG_1038 Side.jpg

IMG_1039 Detail.jpg

IMG_1040 Detail 2.jpg
    Stan

Stan,

I very much like this project. I am not that familiar with G&G and don't remember seeing an Asian themed one. Regardless, it seems to blend well in your project and I like it! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice.

The wire inlay - silver, or pewter?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Ken Fitzgerald
    Stan,

I very much like this project. I am not that familiar with G&G and don't remember seeing an Asian themed one. Regardless, it seems to blend well in your project and I like it! Nicely done Sir!
    Thanks for the kind words. The inlay on the top is probably not for everyone (kind of busy) but it seemed to work in this case.

Kent A Bathurst
    Very nice.

The wire inlay - silver, or pewter?
    I used nickle silver just to try it out (actual silver is about $1 an inch). Got it from a muzzle loader supply place in Idaho.

I am going to try my hand at pewter next. I've been studying the "Morris Chair Build" since it started and have talked myself into building one this year. Some of the Stickley pieces had pewter and copper inlay and I thought that the Morris chair would be a great place to try it out.
    Stan

I like your table. the combo of g&g & the asian work very well together. the top is lovely
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    Stan,

Where would one learn about the inlay and how to do it?

Are the patterns free hand or do you make a template?

Great piece of work.

very nice, I like it a lot !! Good job !

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Stan,

Where would one learn about the inlay and how to do it?

Are the patterns free hand or do you make a template?

Great piece of work.
    Glad you like it, but no patterns Lowell - freehand.

I learned to do router inlay from reading and watching online videos mostly. But probably most importantly - just doing. I've only done a few of these, so I'm no expert by any means, but each one gets a little better.

My process in general is as follows: I generally sketch an idea on paper first, cut out and shape pieces of wood from stock resawn (about 3/16" thick) tape them to the workpiece, outline the pieces with pencil and scribe with an Exacto knife. Then it's just a matter of routing out a recess 1/8" deep that the inlay pieces fit into, gluing, and sanding flush.

It's a simple enough process, but just like coloring with a crayon as a kid - the hard part with freehand routing is staying inside the line. It's tedious and takes practice. Of course there's other stuff like remove material from sharp corners of an area - small knives, chisels, and even a dental pick help there.

Marc Spagnuolo at the Wood Whisperer has a good introductory video to router inlay.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mitchell View Post
    I am going to try my hand at pewter next.
    Easy to use. I got a sheet - maybe 12" x 12" - and a TS blade for non-ferrous metals, and just sliced it up.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Nice work and a beautiful table. I'm not a G&G expert, either, but I thought their designs were Asian influenced.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    I like it.

Very pleasing to the eye

Nice table. Thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    G&G definitely have a strong Asian influence but, it is exhibited more in the overhanging top surfaces, reverse tapered legs and so forth as opposed to picture elements. I think the addition of the bamboo artwork on the top along with the G&G cloud-lift elements came out just great. That table is sure to be treasured for a long time to come.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler