Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna join the mustard gang...

I bought several of the robust comfort rests and really like the versatility and the way they work. I like them better than the PM stock ones. I haven't used other brands so can't say how they compare to them.

I have several of the Robust comfort rests and really like them. They are much preferable to the stock Jet/PM ones. I've been doing a lot of thin spindle turning recently, however, and the Robust "low profile" rests would be preferable for those, but I have yet to order any.

Robust "low profile" rests would be preferable for those, but I have yet to order any.
    I own several Robust tool rests and like them but I also like the shape of the 14" rest that came with the 3520. It needs a bit of up keep to remove nicks and dings but is really a sweet profile.
    If you do a lot of small spindle work, like finials, Robust sells a wonderful offset gizmo that accepts any length tool rest and allows that rest to get 2" closer to the center of the lathe.
    faust

Just ordered 4" and 9" toolrests from Robust. Waiting on shipping info from Toolnut. I ordered over the phone, so I don't have an email from them. Shop is in total disarray trying to make room for the new monster, but I've figured out where it's going and I've got the space cleared and power run.

I have found that the 15" Powermatic rest really doesn't need much filing. I think I have only done it a couple times in four years. I did round over the entire top surface into a gentile curve instead of the inclined ledge. I did it with my 3x21 belt sander by sliding the sander back and forth with the tool rest in the banjo. 10 minute job. A little paste wax and the tool glides effortlessly at any angle.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

So apparently, ToolNut never sent the order to Powermatic, I called again on Monday and they got the lathe shipped out (only 5 hours from where I live, I should have just driven to Nashville). Arrived in Atl that day but now its stuck there until the roads dry out . Hopefully by Monday I'll have it.

I have a wiring question for you guys. I tapped off of my 220V that I use for the TS and ran a new line over to where the lathe will be. With the wiring I had on hand, I had enough but had to put a junction box at about eye level to use a second piece of 12/2 wire to get all the way to the lathe. I put in a double pole switch there, I like to kill the power to all my tools when I leave the shop. (I have a switch for all the 110v outlets in the shop, another for the DC, and the TS is a sawstop, it has a switch plus the paddle, so I never put a switch on the 220 line until now) I was thinking about just direct wiring the lathe to the 12/2 coming off the double pole switch and not messing with a plug. Any reason not to? I wouldn't use this for on/off while turning, just at the end of the day when I leave the shop. Thoughts?
    Where did I put that?

its just that visually i am more positive that it is done.....if i see that the power plug is pulled out of the socket, i know postively that the power to lathe is cut

Congrats! For the money you can not beat the Mustard Monster!

New lathe is here. Snapped the hinge on the belt change door trying to get the headstock downstairs. $20 for the tiny plastic part and $10 shipping. Awesome. The price of buying a premium lathe I guess. I may have to just buy a little hinge at Home Depot snd retrofit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that?

You got yourself a good one there!

Had to laugh out loud reading your down the stairs adventure. After setting up my 3520B a few months ago, while putting it through its paces before making any dust, I put the faceplate on and tightened the set screw and forgot to loosen before putting the wrench to it to get it off. Nothing major to fix with a file and emory cloth but it does want you to think of some bad words.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    New lathe is here. Snapped the hinge on the belt change door trying to get the headstock downstairs. $20 for the tiny plastic part and $10 shipping. Awesome. The price of buying a premium lathe I guess. I may have to just buy a little hinge at Home Depot snd retrofit.

Congrats on the new lathe Rob. Let's see some stuff you turned on it!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Hoping my leveling casters will get here Saturday and I'll get this thing assembled. May have to duct tape the belt door until I get a new hinge.

I've got a rare day to myself Monday, and a couple of logs (elm, orange osage, and cherry) that a friend brought me from Ohio that will need roughing out. Fingers crossed.
    Where did I put that?

I put the Zambus leveling casters on mine. What brand did you decide on?

I bought some from AccessCasters. I looked around at several sites, I think they are FootMaster brand. They have identical specs to the footmaster page and use the same pictures as several other sites. It seems all these industrial caster sites sell them unlabeled basically, from $20-40 per foot. The 2" wheel will get me about 3.5" off the floor when the pads are down. I'm 6'6", I wanted that extra height. They were on the way until they got to Atlanta Monday morning. They didn't leave Atlanta until today. It seems like Fedex sees bad weather coming and uses it as an excuse to delay shipments- 5 days without moving seems a bit extreme, even if Atl was a disaster for 12 hours. I know you guys up north got a kick out of that.

Either way, I don't want to assemble this thing and then have to retrofit the feet. Patience May be a virtue, but it's not one of my strengths.
    Where did I put that?