Thread: Dye Problem

Dye Problem

I am having an issue using Transfast Mission Brown dye on QS black oak. I am getting a bit of a green result. Instead I would like to get a nice brown color that I get when dying white oak with the same dye (I love the look). I believe I had read on this forum something about too much yellow in black oak resulting in green. Is that correct? How do I fix this issue? Should I be using a different color of stain or adding another color?

James

I believe you need to add some red dye to your mix. Red + green = brown.

John

Ok so I guess there Antique Cherry Red would do? Add some then try it. What about another one of there (Transfast) colors rather than combining two of them? Any experience there? It does not help that I am partly color blind. It is very difficult for me to see a color sample and think about what it would look like on the boards I am using.

James

Blog Entries
    I too have issues with the red spectrum visually. I've experience the 'green' thing on ash; too much yellow in the base material. I use a primary red to brown things up so experiment with your cherry red on a test piece. I'll bet you get to what you are after with a little experimentation. Keep extremely accurate record of your test mixes. It is really disappointing to get it just right only to discover you don't know how you did it ;-)

P.s. I also have a variety of light sources, CFL, incandescent, etc. to check colors with. I try to match the lighting environment the piece will go into on the rare occasions that I use colorants.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-21-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

Thank you for your input. I think ash would be a good model for what I am experiencing. I will give this a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I too have issues with the red spectrum visually. I've experience the 'green' thing on ash; too much yellow in the base material. I use a primary red to brown things up so experiment with your cherry red on a test piece. I'll bet you get to what you are after with a little experimentation. Keep extremely accurate record of your test mixes. It is really disappointing to get it just right only to discover you don't know how you did it ;-)

P.s. I also have a variety of light sources, CFL, incandescent, etc. to check colors with. I try to match the lighting environment the piece will go into on the rare occasions that I use colorants.