Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-purposing old jointer knives

Here is the YouTube on making a parting tool with an edger blade. Cannot find my home-made parting tool, otherwise I'd post a picture! (Maybe I should check the knife drawer in the kitchen ...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Joo-cBzsjQ

I used mine to make a tapered tenon cutter to match my tapered reamer used for the legs on windsor chairs.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

OK so Xnay on the throwing knives.
    Here is a more serious suggestion.
    I am not sure if it would work or if the jointer knives are too narrow. Could even put in a holder like the Varitas but just a block of wood.
    http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...-card-scrapers
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Looked in my scrap today and one of the planer blades is maybe 10" long and seems to have a little flex to it. Are planer blades made of other material besides HSS?

It has a mark on it that looks li ok o all inside of a large C followed by a 1

I was thinking of using it to make a pair of skew chisels or perhaps a fishtail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Winton,
    Are you saying that you do not have any old jointer knives?
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Jim,are you sure your 10" blade is not laminated with a thin HSS cutting edge? The original blades in my 15" Bridgewood thickness planer were laminated. Or,do you have a thin type of blade from a lunch box planer? The thin blades do have some flex to them,though I would not try bending them TOO much. Or,if you do,at lest bend them towards someone you do not like,such as the IRS agent at your door!!

Are you saying that you do not have any old jointer knives?

My list of random replies :
    Why what ever do you mean ? I have LOTS of jointer knives. No jointer knives . . . huh . . . no jointer knives he says . . .
    or
    Of coarse I don't have any jointer knives, I thought I made that perfectly clear. I have to throw all o mine at the paparazzi to survive. It's a jungle out there.
    or
    Well I plan on getting some . . .
    . . . just as soon as I get a jointer.
    I been saving up but you know how it is. Buy a plane here a chisel there. Takes all of my money just to support this habit. I, I, I, I'm not an addict though. I, I, I'm not addicted. I could stop any time.
    Just like that.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.