Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using metal working tools and techniques on wood

Using metal working tools and techniques on wood

I'm just finished the first class in a 10 week beginning machinist course. I thought I'd learn some useful new skills plus I've got some ideas for mixing metal details into my wood furniture. After doing my first metal turning where we measured down to 1/1000", it got me wondering why woodturning tools and techniques are so imprecise. Yes, the material is much more dynamic but it seems that the precision design of a metal lathe could be applied to woodturning. Why not have a lead screw and tool carriage? In fact, why not just use a metal lathe?

Price for one, a large metal working lathe is not chump change not to mention fixtures. Second would be why? Does a table leg need to be turned to within 1/1000"?

I think that the biggest thing is that wood is not nearly as stable as metal. It is very susceptible to humidity changes, so why strive for 0.001", when your panel will shift more than that overnight? It's also more compressible, so it's easy to deform (by feed rollers, etc.) while machining. It likes to bounce back to it's comfort shape once free of the pressures deforming it. That flex also works to our advantage sometimes, however, when it comes to squaring during a glue-up.

Having said that, there are plenty of people around here that seem to get their panties in a knot if their bandsaw table has a .002" dish in across its 24" width.

Having a lead screw/tool carriage on a wood lathe would probably take a lot of the fun and craftsmanship out of it. Plus, it would be slow and difficult cutting something with a lot of curves.

Some people do...........pool cues and musical instruments to name a cpl.

The right tool for the job.

I've done woodturning on a metal lathe out of need.

I am now using a milling machine to bore holes in wood.

It works. But not really very well.

For a start, wood dust and oil isn't a good combination. And the highest possible speeds of the machines isn't fast enough to get a good finish.

Working upside down, I use the woodworking tools and methods to work metal, plastic, and wood to .001". So it is possible to apply hybrid metal working methods with woodworking tools.

Patternmakers lathes do have that cross slide so they can turn cylinders and tapers. These cross slides rely on an oil film on the bed, not a good mix with dust. But most woodturning involves beads and coves. Not easy by turning two cranks to do that. Also rpm is lower on metal lathes, tough to grind tooling to get the extreme shear angle you can get with a skew, most low end metal lathes don't have the length to do table legs, limited diameter capacity, etc............

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    I'm just finished the first class in a 10 week beginning machinist course. I thought I'd learn some useful new skills plus I've got some ideas for mixing metal details into my wood furniture. After doing my first metal turning where we measured down to 1/1000", it got me wondering why woodturning tools and techniques are so imprecise. Yes, the material is much more dynamic but it seems that the precision design of a metal lathe could be applied to woodturning. Why not have a lead screw and tool carriage? In fact, why not just use a metal lathe?
    In addition to the other replies, if your talking about using a metal lathe in its conventional configuration, they are simply not conducive to qucik forming of sweeping curves, beads, and so on. Of course you could fit a tool rest which I have seen many times.

They each have their purpose and while if you only had space for one the metal lathe with work arounds for working wood would be the only option. Having both would be best especially when you start running a metal lathe in a wood shop with oil/coolant mist and spray. Not a good mix for a wood shop. We do quite a bit of metal fabrication in the shop and some tools we have in duplicate are used for metal only but without the luxury of two completely separate shops your always wondering about the cutting oil thats flying off the metal shavings and what piece of wood/work its landing on only to rear its ugly head when you start spraying finish.

If you are really interested in doing high precision woodworking on a lathe, check out the Legacy Ornamental Mill. I have only seen videos of this machine in action but it looks like it would do precision work almost to machine shop tolerances. This machine also appears to be incredibly versatile. I would actually like to hear from someone who owns one.

Jim, that's a good idea for turning cylinders, however most turning has details that would be hard to do with a coumpound driven tool unless it was CNC.

It's amazing how good your eye/hand is a blending or repeating curves on a wood lathe.

Regards, Rod.

Some industries typically use metalworking equipment on certain hardwoods eg: wind instruments made from African Blackwood are often machined on a CNC lathe.

I asked the same question to a machinist years ago. He said he doesn't allow wood in his shop because he said the wood dust is bad for machines. You can always add a tool rest on a metal lathe to allow you to turn wood without having to use a tool post, if you wanted a dual purpose machine. You would probably have to find a way to increase the RPM though.

In a manufacturing setting they use CNC lathes because it gives much more consistency than to have someone manually turn it on a manual wood lathe. It also saves time and labor as well as not having to find someone with the skill to turn parts on a wood lathe with acceptable dimensional accuracy. Though I suspect in the old days, or certain individual builders still turn them by hand. .001" accuracy is possible on wood initially but with the added difficulty of making sure the wood is stable so it doesn't move. Luthiery is complicated because you need good accuracy (often without the aid of CNC) and you still have to deal with wood movement.

I bought a cross-slide for my Delta 11" wood lathe. Works fine for small metal turning, which is all I would ever do on it.
    Heck, I have more in tooling than the lathe cost.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Jim, using a metal lathe with a carriage would simply take all the fun out of it. Might as well put a scooter motor in your muscle car. All the fun is being able to do exactly what you want with your hands, and doing what they tell you. Not what a carriage can produce. try turning a bowl by hand once and you will understand
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

For some projects/cuts, I put end mills in my PC routers -

-- I use end mills having ½”, 3/8”, and ¼” shanks.

-- Cutting diameters are available in metric and fractional sizes, as well as 2, 4, or more flutes .

For those like me that have PC routers, PC has a 3/8” collet for its routers. See:

http://www.portercable.com/Products/...roductID=16428
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-22-2014 at 11:35 PM.