Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crosscut sled

Crosscut sled

I am building a crosscut sled for my TS and have 2 questions:

1) What is a good width to accommodate? I am thinking it should at least allow material 24" wide to fit in it.

2) Some plans use a single miter slot and some use both miter slots. Any advantages to one over the other? It would be easier to use only one because you don't need to align two, but I'm thinking using both slots would be more stable.

Steve

I suppose it depends a little bit on what you'll be using the sled to cut.

In my case, I made a one-sided sled that will accommodate 24" wide material, and it has an adjustable (approx. 43-degrees to 92-degrees) fence. I used 3/8" thick Baltic birch which makes it fairly lightweight, not a chore to lift onto or off of the saw.

Where a two-sided sled that straddles the blade and uses both miter slots would excel would be better control of the waste. Right now my waste has to fall by the height of the sled (3/8"). If you expect a large cut-off, you have to add a 3/8" piece of material to the other side of the blade, to make things safe. But I don't find I have to do this very often. I have a piece with a hook on the front that just hooks the front of the table saw's table, it works pretty well.

Oh and another benefit of the two-sided sled is that you get better splinter control on both sides of the material.

I built a big one for my Unisaw that could accommodate just under 24". Frankly it was a pain to use and a pain to store because of its size. It had double runners and I'd think you'd want that to give you the best chance of a straight cut with 18" of the sled hanging over the front of the saw.

When I bought my Sawstop and sold my Unisaw I gave the sled to the buyer. I bought runners to build a new one but doubt I ever will, but I've gone to using a quality track saw for handling large panels.

Thanks for the suggestiuons.

I am building many cabinets for our kitchen out of prefinished 3/4" maple plywood. I plan on breaking down the sheets using my circular saw and a homemade edge-guide to slightly oversize. Then I will cut it accurately using the sled on the table saw. The widest parts will be the base cabinet sides at 22 3/4" wide. Actually, the 1/2" backs will be larger but I don't want to make the sled THAT big.

Steve

Steve,

I have one built with 1 miter slot guide. I have a small parts sled that uses 2 miter slot guides. My next full sized crosscut sled will probably have 2 miter slot guides for improved accuracy and I will use it with an outfeed extension on my t/s. A lot depends on the material used for the miter slot guide.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Having now built 2 houses full of cabinetry and doing it first your way and my current way, I can tell you that's a lot of extra work. But my way cost about a second table saw's worth of money to outfit so there's a definite time/money tradeoff there.

I prefer the sled to be able to accommodate a 24" length of cut with two slot bars. The 24" capacity accommodates a lot of projects & the double miter bars add better "solidity", long term wear, repeatability, and accuracy. When using the sled there will be some slop in the fit, so you could make a habit of always "pushing" the sled to the same side of the miter slot for consistency. If the resulting cut from the saw blade is not quite what you want, say a width that didn't come out wide enough, you could make the cut by pushing the sled first against the regular side of the slot, then while holding the work piece in the same position on the sled, make a second cut by pushing the sled against other side of the slot. This will add the "slop" in the fit to the width of the cut.

As for alignment of these two bars:
    1. Make the bars extra long,
    2. Place the bars in the slots, if there is any "slop" in the fit you could temporarily wrap the bars in wax paper, or a sheet of paper, shims, etc, i.e. whatever fits right,
    3. Then lay the sled on top of the table & bars,
    4. Orient the sled square to the front edge of the table & clamp in place,
    5. Drill pilot holes, countersink the sled, and screw the sled to the bars. You could also first pin nail the sled to the bars & then screw things together.

If your saw has a miter slot with a wider, secondary slot at the bottom, say ~1/16" high, you could add a washer to the bottom of the bars. Countersink the washers to accept a flat head screw so it doesn't protrude below the washer.

Good luck with your sled, you'll find it to be an extremely useful tool.

PS Remember to use the "5-cut" method to adjust the sled square.
    Last edited by Al Launier; 01-22-2014 at 10:01 AM.

I use a double bar sled but I approached the construction a little differently. I essentially made two sleds, one for the left side of the blade and one for the right. I used two pieces of 3/4" MDF and maple for the runners. I routed a dado on each sheet of MDF and glued in the runners. With the MDF sized to be slightly larger than the blade clearance on each individual sled, I trimmed the edge on each piece separately for zero clearance. I then lightly clamped the two sled halves together so that they would be putting a little pressure on the inside walls of the miter slots and I then attached the back fence to join the two halves together. Then I predrilled all the holes to attach the front fence and attached the fence with one screw, finishing it off by aligning it using the 5 cut method. This way of making a sled guarantees a smooth sliding sled with no slop and is much easier to make than using on full sheet.

There is a FWW article in the last 12-18 months which lays out how to build a sled. It has lots of good suggestions. I built mine 'along those lines' and it has served me well. It will hold a 14" panel which suits me fine---most of my 'issues' are for holding a LONG board and keeping it square to the blade. Beyond 14" I use my skill saw and lay a guide down. My only real suggestion is that I found it was worth it to spend a few bucks to buy Incra guides for the runners.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. Personally, I have 2. For trimming large panels, I have a single runner sled that only has a rear (leading) fence. I don't know anyone who uses something like this, and I'm surprised. By registering on the leading face of the sled (vs the trailing edge like a normal sled) it's easier to register in the slots and prevent tipping with large panels.

I have a smaller sled that accommodates 16" wide stock. It's 1/2" plywood. A smaller, lighter sled is easier IMHO to use, so I use it more often for most cross cuts

Mine is huge by most people's standards, made from a half sheet of 1/2" plywood, with two runners. It can handle most any long and wide cabinet door with no problems. Yes it's heavy but that has no bearing when it's actually up on the saw where it slides very smoothly. No matter how large or small you make it, I suggest you include a blade guard at the back and an eye/hand shield above the blade. I made my shield from 1/4" plexiglass, about 6" wide, supported by two 3/4" x 1-1/2" strips of wood, that spans from the front to back rest of the sled. It keeps sawdust from hitting you in the face and provides a visual reminder of where the blade is.

John

2 minor thoughts:
    2 runners give you more stability/accuracy
    Keep weight in mind as you design/build...1/2" stock might be sufficient.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Lots of ways to skin this cat. Personally, I have 2. For trimming large panels, I have a single runner sled that only has a rear (leading) fence. I don't know anyone who uses something like this, and I'm surprised. By registering on the leading face of the sled (vs the trailing edge like a normal sled) it's easier to register in the slots and prevent tipping with large panels.

I have a smaller sled that accommodates 16" wide stock. It's 1/2" plywood. A smaller, lighter sled is easier IMHO to use, so I use it more often for most cross cuts

Prashun

You just described exactly what I have (and was about to write about until I saw your message ). 95% or more of my crosscuts are done with the small sled.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Lots of ways to skin this cat. For trimming large panels, I have a single runner sled that only has a rear (leading) fence. I don't know anyone who uses something like this, and I'm surprised. By registering on the leading face of the sled (vs the trailing edge like a normal sled) it's easier to register in the slots and prevent tipping with large panels.
    Picture holding my hand up yelling......"I do Mr. Patel!" LOL.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Prashun, great minds think alike...........LOL.

That's a very common style, when I owned a cabinet saw, I had one.

It's based upon how a sliding tablesaw handles larger pieces..................Regards, Rod.