Thread: What type of Granite for sharpening/honing?

What type of Granite for sharpening/honing?

Alrighty, didn't know where to post this question so I thought "general" was safe enough.

I am going to work on a sharpening station for my workshop (cleverly disguised as a garage).

My question is about granite plates (you clever people probably figured this out already).

I see where I can buy locally and online 2" thick granite for such purposes but I'm wondering if scraps from a granite countertop will suffice?

Perhaps granite tiles from the local H.D.?

I'm looking for a dead flat surface that I can stick sand paper to.

Thanks
    Maintenance Man - I do precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by people of questionable knowledge...

Granite tiles are fine for flatness; plate glass is fine for flatness too.

The only reason to go thicker is more mass so it doesn't move around on you. But this is solved by fashioning a holder or even using rubber bumper type feet.
    The only reason to go longer is to give you a longer stroke.

I use the sink cutout from a granite countertop for lapping the back of irons or truing handplanes.
    It's flat enough to get good results, but I wouldn't call it portable.

I don't favor sandpaper as a longterm sharpening medium, it's expensive and messy.

A piece of "float glass" from your local glass repair shop is probably ideal.
    It will be really flat, it should be cheap, and you can get it cut to whatever size you like.

That's what I started with. I broke it in the move to my new digs, five years ago
    and bought the sink cut out. A larger tile, on a solid substrate should be plenty.
    They can be verified with a straight edge and a flashlight.

If you don't have a straightedge at the Home center, borrow a level.
    Those things are amazingly straight, these days.

FYI - I now sharpen with the diamond plates from Atoma and wish I had started with these.
    They're faster, easier to clean and will be cheaper over the long haul.

I use honing oil and there's little dust or swarf to clean up.

Just comparing my hands after sharpening with the two methods tells the tale.
    The diamond stones are MUCH faster cutting an edge, but about the same
    amount of time for lapping things flat.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 01-22-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks for the input folks. I will look into the float glass first. I am pursuing this venue as I have a lot of sandpaper that will work well for now. The goal is diamond stones and then eventually a Tormek to compliment everything.
    Maintenance Man - I do precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by people of questionable knowledge...

I use the bed of my 6" jointer as a flat surface for honing (with abrasives stock of course).
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Got to countertop tile place (say Rocky Mountain Tile & Stone) get to the fabrication shop, avoid the showroom
    there usually is an office, hit them break or lunch time tell them you need a piece of stone
    if they ask you if it needs edge treament, say NO
    how big, say I dont know 8x11
    If they say hard or soft, say Flat
    when he says come with me, follow him to the scrap bin
    dont ask to cut take what they give you,Say Thanks

just did this today at the shop in my town
    less than five minutes of their time
    when the wife gets back I will have pics and dimensions
    IMG_09732014_01_22_375.jpg
    Also in a pinch you can buy sand paper at Walmart in the automotive section
    IMG_09722014_01_22_374.jpg
    Last edited by phil harold; 01-22-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

You can buy smaller granite blocks for machinist work that are dead flat and work wonderful for your application. Here is a link to one at Wholesale tool. Also you might try a grave marker shop also for scrap chunks and I do have a couple of 12x12 granite floor tiles that work too.

Good luck,

Jeff

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pro...+Surface+Plate
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

The Tormek is a worthy, but very expensive tool.

I use the Lee Valley upright sander/grinder - but only when there's a serious, deep knick in a blade.
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...,43072&p=44884

With newer tool steel, that's rarely needed.

I can't justify spending Tormek money on something that will just sit in a corner.

Jim,

The more I research the more I'm inclined to agree with you about the Tormek and the option of the ultra-versatile strip sander.

Thanks