Thread: I haven't posted any work for a while so here's a recent Hard maple vessel

I haven't posted any work for a while so here's a recent Hard maple vessel

DSC_0324.jpg Hard maple vessel 14" tall by 6 1/4" dia. wall thickness of 3/16". It's finished with acrylic paints & high gloss varnish. I did this piece by a request. I don't know that I'm sold on the finish but it's just as requested.
    I still struggle with pictures of high gloss.

Thanks for looking & Critique's & comments requested.

Beautiful, and a very classic form.

Don't know that I'm sold on high gloss finish, either...I prefer a minimalist finish, myself.

Joe

That is one beautiful piece of work, I really like the color,shape,wood really nice piece.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gaudet View Post
    Beautiful, and a very classic form.

Don't know that I'm sold on high gloss finish, either...I prefer a minimalist finish, myself.
    Thanks Geoff, I use a lot high gloss finishes and like that part. It's the color's and the some what faded, worn look to them that somewhat bothers me a little.

Very nice Joe, would you mind sharing the paint colors and application technique?

Joe, As always a great job and I think I like the colors of Ketchup and Mustard! The gloss finish works well for this piece and you got a pretty good picture of it.

Keep up the good work,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

[QUOTE=Jeff Nicol;2213876]Joe, As always a great job and I think I like the colors of Ketchup and Mustard! The gloss finish works well for this piece and you got a pretty good picture of it.

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Some how ketchup & mustard never even crossed my mind. I usually never title my work but you may be on to something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    Joe

That is one beautiful piece of work, I really like the color,shape,wood really nice piece.

Thanks for looking & commenting Harry.

Very nice Joe, not crazy about the color but execution and finish look outstanding. BTW what hollowing rig are you using to get that deep?

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Very nice Joe, not crazy about the color but execution and finish look outstanding. BTW what hollowing rig are you using to get that deep?
    Thanks James for your comments, My hollowing system is from Advanced lathe tools. I have several sizes of there boring bars. This one I did with the 1" boring bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Very nice Joe, would you mind sharing the paint colors and application technique?
    Thanks Ray, both colors I used are transparent acrylic artist paints. Applied with a airbrush, then randomly rubbed & buffed off with strips of old denim jeans. Then top coated with high gloss varnish.