Thread: Spray Gun Regulator - Do I Need It?

Spray Gun Regulator - Do I Need It?

I've got an HVLP spray gun which I'm just getting the hang of and I have a question...

If I've got a regulator on the compressor itself, why would I need one at the gun also?

Is this to set the correct pressure after losses through the hose?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I think mostly convenience, but it is a very nice convenience. It keeps you from trudging back and forth to the compressor to check and adjust the pressure. They aren't very expensive and it sure saves a lot of hassle. I actually use both. I set the compressor regulator at about 80lbs and then adjust the gun pressure to what ever it is supposed to be. The one on my gun has color coded ranges which makes it easy to set to to proper pressure. Plus, for the most part, once you set the regulator at the gun you should never have to mess it again. I have 2 guns each with its own regulator.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

HVLP don't normally use a compressor. Is it a conversion gun? Maybe an LVLP? An extra reg is always nice
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    HVLP don't normally use a compressor. Is it a conversion gun? Maybe an LVLP? An extra reg is always nice
    I was assuming a conversion gun, but you know what happens when you assume things don't you?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I think he means his shop air compressor...

It is a good idea to have a regulator on or close to the gun, both to mitigate any pressure drops in your system over the run of your lines, and to be able to "tune" your gun's spray pattern based on the type and viscosity of material you are shooting. Also, as a rule, most HVLP guns will need a pressure value much lower than any other air tools in your shop, so an adjacent regulator allows you to leave your overall shop levels at a usable level and fine tune the gun. They aren't very expensive, and they can mount right at the hose junction to the gun itself.

K

Thanks all!

Yes, I'm talking about my shop compressor along with a Harbor Freight purple gun that I bought based on all the good reviews (like I said, I'm new to this stuff). I've already sprayed my Drill Press with oil based Sherwin Williams enamel (thinned with 20% mineral spirits) and it came out great.

I'd like to spray some lacquer down the road and just wanted to see how important a second regulator was.

I guess it sure can't hurt. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive regulator?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Kaufman View Post
    a Harbor Freight purple gun that I bought based on all the good reviews
    Hmm, IIRC my HF purple gun came with a regulator. Guess they have to keep the price down somehow.
    Larry J Browning

Any of the little regulators should work OK. Grizzly sells one that probably still costs more than you paid for the gun, but the convenience it adds makes it a worthwhile addition. That cheap little HF gun sprays pretty nice doesn't it? I've gotten beautiful results with it spraying shellac and GF's EnduroVar.

John

For the price of the regulator on the gun it is well worth it in my opinion. Major convenience at a tiny cost. You also don't have to worry about doing different line-loss adjustments if you change your hose size/length.