Thread: French-fitted (sort of)

French-fitted (sort of)

It's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to share a side project that turned out well for me. I had some time over the holidays to take a fresh look at how I use the shop space. I re-arranged some machines and made a new outfeed table for my TS. This was one of those types of projects as well.

I no longer have to worry about the bulk of my hand tools banging into one-another whenever I open a drawer. The black material is some multi-layer foam (about 1" thick) that I first cut to drawer size with a panel saw. After tracing around the tools I just cut with a utility knife. Took me one day of shop time; that seems like a lot but I take it slow, often getting distracted by some music or podcast playing.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job Jeff and a fine cabinet too.

Nice job! It's good to have it all organized and safe too.
    Maurice

Nice job Jeff!

Besides protecting your tools this type arrangement really helps track tool whereabouts also. If you open a drawer and there's an open spot you either know you just used the tool or you know to look for it. It takes some time but it has a lot of benefits.

Ron

Well done Jeff! Where did you source the foam?

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    Well done Jeff! Where did you source the foam?
    Looks like Kaizen Foam - http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Kaizen-Foam-p13435.htm Watch the video.

Nicely done Jeff. It will make you smile every time you reach for a tool - and more so when you put it back home.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    Very nice set up.

Besides protecting your tools this type arrangement really helps track tool whereabouts also.
    I used to work with mechanics who worked on commercial aircraft. They had to have their tools set up like this so they could account for every tool at the end of the day.

My problem is I always have another to put away.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Actually that Kaizen Foam looks a little easier to use than the stuff I had, but same idea. I got mine from LV, but had to pick it up in store (not really economical to ship something large and light).