Thread: Who needs a lathe?

Who needs a lathe?

Not sure if anyone has posted this. Did a quick search and didn't see any posts. Kind of cool. This guy put a lot of thought into this. Certainly won't replace a lathe but still interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/k5k7a86

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Is it just me, or is this guy kinda missing the point?

Very cool. What impressed me was that he designed it without any CAD -- just thought it up. I'd like to see him offer up plans. I have way too many projects, and I'm trying to master the lathe, so I'd probably resist. But I can see a big following and a bunch of interest from experimenters.

Geoff, I'm with you. The fun in turning a bowl (for me) is the turning part. But maybe not to some. To some, it is getting the job done with what you have... And to yet others, it is figuring out HOW you can get it done with what you have. Izzy seems to be in that last group. His enjoyment seems to be in the figuring out how to do something different. For that, I'll give him kudos. That said, I don't see the joy in turning a bowl like he does it. Not to mention, it looks like that is good for 8" and smaller bowls. To do anything larger, you'd need a larger version...and I'm sure not only would the jig get too heavy if it were much bigger, but it wouldn't/couldn't be run by a drill anymore.
    I drink, therefore I am.

LOTS of sanding?

Very cool jig. It's amazing he just thought that up. I have a hard time thinking how to make something round and look nice.

Gotta see how he gets the inside hollow.