Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tavern Table Project

I'm interested in the build also. Are you going to angle the tenons or the mortises? Cutting angled tenons would be weaker than straight tenons into angled mortises. I've just started a tapered leg shaker table. The legs are done and I'm thinking I will make a jig to hold them in position, while I measure the mortise angles and compound skirt angles surrounding the tenons. Its going to get interesting!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Bob, I may be in for a rude awakening, but I don't foresee having to angle either thr mortises or the tenons in the way i think you mean. The gluing walls of the mortises will be perpendicular to the faces of the rectangular sections and the cheeks of the tenons will be parallel to the log axes of the stretchers and aprons. The tenons and shoulders will be angled across the width of the stretchers and apron members, and the top and bottom of mortises will need a bit af angling I guess, but not like a federal chair m&ts or anything.

I think you met your goal on the turnings Sean. Ill look forward to reading your future installments.

I never thought about copying a work to apprentice, but once you point it out I definitely "get it". Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Enjoy!
    Fred

Sean, you might be in for a rude awakening... I'm not totally sure, but I think that when the posts are splayed in two directions, you lose the easy ability to be perpendicular to square posts. I know just enough to be dangerous, so I'm just going to recommend looking at t thecarpentryway blog and search on "splayed post". Hope this helps!
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

Those look great! I think the non exactness of these elements lends it self to the character and uniqueness of the project. I like the differences like that even though to me they look darn close! Looking forward to the progress on this! Love the table and project!

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Sean
    By the time you get those legs at their respective corners
    anyone claiming to see incongruity between them should be
    bounced out of the place. Very nice turning.

Sean, I read the FFW article in your last post. That is the table I'm building, although I hadn't seen this article before. I did take note that at the beginning of the article the author said he added a cockbead to the bottom of the skirt to cover up any tenon joint problems. I made a double splayed sided baby cradle once, and found out that the angle between the splayed sides was not 90 degrees. The more the sides are splayed, the greater the angle between the two faces increases. I think we will be facing this problem during our project builds. However, I am thinking with the slight splay on the legs, the angle may not change enough to prevent assembly. With my narrow legs, I'm concerned that forcing the assembly might split the leg at the mortise. Let's stay on top of this. As I said, this will get interesting. Bob

Agreed. FWIW, I think about it like this: If I made some "A"s with square sticks, the faces would still be at 90, and I could use them to make other "A"s perpendicular to the first. Right?

Blog Entries
    Looks better than my little bedside table with turned legs. Glad to hear I am not the only one who can't get the legs to match perfectly.

There's too many flying things in craft beer
    Lots of flying things from Mendocino Brewing in Hopland, CA. But they are all birds like; Blue Heron, White Hawk, Eye of the Hawk, etc.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Okay, so I'm realizing that it is a major challenge to figure out proportions, angles, and relationships from a tiny picture. What I wouldn't give for five minutes alone in a room with the original to take ten or twelve quick measurements! So instead of chopping mortises and cutting tenons, as I hoped, this weekend has been about mock ups - lots of mock-ups. It's coming, but the puzzle still needs work before I commit to a plan.

I started with a mock top from scrap ply. Most of you likely know the nail and string bit to draw nice ovals:

For newbies to ovals, draw the axes and mark where you want the perimeter to fall on each; tap in some nails equidistant from the center; make a loop of string big enough to go around the pins and hit your perimeter when stretched by your pencil; I like to notch the pencil to hold the string; and then keeping the string taught, draw the oval. If it is too narrow or not the size you wanted, a bit of trial and error with the nails and the length of the loop will make quick work of arriving at a pleasing oval. Cut it out with whatever saw you like from jig, to band, to bow.

And then various mock-ups to try to figure the sizes of the rectangles at the top and bottom and consequent angle at the appropriate height. Seems somewhere around 12 degrees so far, assuming the splay is the same in both directions? More work is needed to figure out optinal apron lengths etc. I've even tried a slightly larger oval too. More to come.

That's a reject leg in this rough test mock up - see, even rejects can be useful (just like my teachers and bosses have been telling me all my life!).

More tests and figuring and assessing ... and cursing. ;-)
    Last edited by Sean Hughto; 01-26-2014 at 6:42 PM.

Sean, looking at your last picture above, I am now thinking that you may be right. It looks like you have the square legs splayed out both ways and have successfully clamped boards against both faces. I sure hope this is the case, it will make this build a lot easier. I haven't gotten to your stage of the mock up yet, maybe tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Blog Entries
    There are quite a few ways to draw an ellipse (oval?).

Here is one that is more predictable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvMNO47yoI4

Here is an old one here on SMC with one similar to the one in the video:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...wing-a-ellipse

Set the large axis pin to pencil distance and then move the pin down the short groove and the intersection of the two axis is where the pin is placed for the minor axis.

This is similar to what I tend to do in the shop using a framing square.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Each to their own. I like the nails and string. It suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Agreed. FWIW, I think about it like this: If I made some "A"s with square sticks, the faces would still be at 90, and I could use them to make other "A"s perpendicular to the first. Right?
    If you imagine a table to be oriented with a north, south, east, and west sides... You could make north and south splay or east and west splay, but if you try to splay it on all four sides, you loose the perpendicularity. It's a fascinating aspect of geometry/carpentry. See: http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.com/...situation.html
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind