Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akeda Price.....REALLY?

Akeda Price.....REALLY?

I just watched an auction for a 16" Akeda jig that started at $100 end at $425. If they are that valuable and that in demand why aren't the things made any more? It seems like the rule of supply and demand is not working here.

Al

You're running into the same forces that run antiques or collector cars. If there are very few of something available, and if several people want it, the price can go sky-high.

I tried contacting them once and surprsingly received a reply. You can get on a waiting list and at that time over a year ago they were trying to get back into production. Or so the email stated, seems like they haven't made it yet.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I have one and its easy to use. My last project I did variable spaced greene and greene finger joints on it. Like most of these jigs its a lot of parts. When Woodcraft was selling all their inventory I bought tons of extra bits and accessories. Thought at the time that Akeda was going out of business and it sounds like they're kinda maybe still alive?

~mark

I was watching that auction and was shocked to see the final price. That said, if the jig is as good as many claim it to be, the used market is the only game in town at the moment and therefore the price will be artificially high.

Rick

I have an Akeda jig and was watching an auction for the longer 24" version. Check out the final price I really like using my Akeda jig but this is ludicrous.
    temp.jpg

Wow. Guess a guy should have considered Akeda jigs instead of a 401k...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bacon View Post
    If they are that valuable and that in demand why aren't the things made any more? It seems like the rule of supply and demand is not working here.

Al
    Actually, Al, it sounds like the rule of supply and demand is working perfectly here. When something is in short supply, and a lot of people want it... the price goes up!

Akeda... worth every penny!

If you have ever seen one in person, lifted one, or looked at how well they are built, you'd understand the price. If you had ever used one, you would be wanting one too.

I've owned two Leighs and sold the last one when I tried out the Akeda. It's simple and it works, but it is not cheap. To really make things simple you should have two dedicated routers, one for the tails and one for the pins.

If you have a kitchen or master closet to do, this is the system to have. Or if you simply want a machine that sets up quick and operates exactly as advertised, again, this is the system to have.

The reason they are no longer in production is that they were under priced.

Scott in Montana

10. I have an Akeda too, and it falls into the "you'll have pry it out my cold dead hands" category of shop tools. Having two routers setup and dialed in saves an extraordinary amount of time, paying for the second router quickly.

One item selling at a healthy price does not translate into the type of sales needed to make manufacturing profitable.

I guess I'm still a little confused. Leigh was first to the market with their Dovetail jig. I believe sales went well. Then Akeda entered the market. Now here's where I have a problem understanding all the above raves for the Akdea. IF it was so much easier to use and everybody who has one would not give it up for anything else, it would seem to me that Akeda SHOULD be the one still standing. But it is Leigh. I'm not knocking the Akeda, just trying to understand whats going on here.

So what am I missing?

Ok, been following this thread for a while, have to ask. What is so good about an akeda that it gets such a avid fan club?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bacon View Post

So what am I missing?
    The other 98% of factors that go into a successful business. Making or selling a better product its almost a non factor in sales.

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but the general consensus on the Akeda is that it's very simple to use and doesn't require a complicated setup each time to produce quality dovetails. This is in contrast to descriptions of the Leigh jig that sounds like it also produces a quality dovetail, but is more complicated and not necessarily something that you can use every 2-3 months without having to re-learn the setup each time. I might be off on that, but it's that impression that keeps me hunting for an Akeda and feeling like any other jig would be a compromise.

I know Akeda had a fire at their facility early on in the production which couldn't have helped the long term success. I also imagine that the equipment used to produce the jigs isn't cheap, so there are a lot of factors in the business beyond just producing a great product. Would be nice if they got the jigs back in stock, though!

Rick