Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A method for making Moxon handwheels

Thanks Maurice! That Enco sale was a great deal. So far I have just under $35 invested. I still have 20" of acme rod and right more of the nuts. Trying to decide how to use the rest of it. Maybe use some for a heavy duty wooden saw vise.

I haven't had any problems with the handle being in the way. The handles are 5 & 3/4" across and the ends do stick up above the jaw but with 24+" between the screws it hasn't been a problem.

P1150086.JPGP1150088.JPG

Paul, I realized after I posted that the width of the jaw would negate any interference. Looks like a quick and solid way to go.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    If you aren't adamant about having a hand wheel there are other relatively inexpensive options out there such as a veneer press screw. Lee Valley and Rockler and others carry them. Nothing to machine.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31138
    http://www.rockler.com/woodworking/Veneer-Press-Screw

Thanks Paul. Strange, when I search LV for "Press Screw" it comes up empty. I thought they had stopped selling them. This is about the same price as buying all the parts individually.

Blog Entries
    ... And now it shows up when I search. Didn't do so the previous times. Must be Monday.

Great job and I really like how it turned out, Ryan!

The wing nut by Roton is an interesting idea as an alternative to the machining required on the handwheels. Based on the dimensions provided for the wing nut, the ball portion of the wing nut is 1 1/8" dia. and the center hub is only 1" thick so you would need some sort of sleeve to act as a standoff to provide separation from the vise jaw. Did you have something in mind for that? I guess most anything would work but I'm curious if you found something through Roton or Enco as well.

The thick washers I mentioned in the first post would be what I would use with those wing nuts. The length of those, however, might be a little long at 9.5". The handwheels are 5" and just right. 9.5" would stick up a bit.

Funny, I, too, searched on LV for "press screw" and "press vise" last week without satisfaction. I, too, got a hit during the last couple of days; but today, no luck, LV no longer shows a press screw (I went there to add it to my shopping cart).

It appears the press screw does not ship to a U.S. address, which is why it doesn't show up in a search when I'm logged in. It does, however, show up in the search when viewing the Canadian site.

Jorgensen also markets a veneer press screw, model 6700 in three thread lengths.

Blog Entries
    I ended up going to woodworker.com and although they were $17 each where others had press screws for $15, they charged me $10 less shipping (same priority mail) than the other guys. So I am in for $50 shipped for two press screws. Since my Ruobo dream build is going to be a bit longer than hoped to become reality, this will make dovetailing easier for now. (Currently using world's worst-racking bench vise.)

Thanks for starting this thread because it motivated me to finally do this. I really like your hand wheel choice but since they couldn't ship to me I had to go with the press screws.

I will ill likely laminate the vise jaws out of mahogany and flamed maple that I have on hand and I need to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bobo View Post
    It appears the press screw does not ship to a U.S. address, which is why it doesn't show up in a search when I'm logged in. It does, however, show up in the search when viewing the Canadian site.
    Of course, that explains it, thanks.

Ryan,
    Thanks for posting this. I just placed my order with Enco with enough material to build two Moxon benches. Enco is offering 15% off and free shipping with orders over $99 (codes game day and kickoff). So I also ordered a 18 x 12 x 3 inch granite slab for flattening chisels and plane blades (item #640-0120) and a few other items for the shop. It was all $50 less than the price of the Benchcraft kit.
    —Robert in Albuquerque

Sounds cool - be sure to post your creation. It's been neat to see the many creative solutions to the handwheel/acme thread problem.

The country known as Washington (a/k/a The State of Washington)
    Some nice ideas!

Just for reference to those living in or near farming country and irrigation suppliers, consider looking into their old valves. Around here, irrigation circles use valves for twelve inch pipes. Of course, there are six inch pipes too. Many of these are tossed for the scrap value of the iron and brass. For that price, you can get the wheel and thread. If nothing else, you have the start of a cider press.