Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A method for making Moxon handwheels

I think with decent bits, a good clamp/vise, and a lot of sizes from small to large, the cast iron can be drilled on a drill press. Compared to steel it is soft. I drilled the set screws on my drill press and it was easy. I could see slowly stepping up in sizes until you have a good size through-hole. The threaded acme rod seemed a little harder (or my hacksaw was dull), but it wasn't too bad to file the threads after I cut it.

Here is an option that requires no metalworking machines. I did use a drill press to drill the handles, but it could be done without one. You don't get the nice cast iron handwheel, but I haven't yet wished for them on this one.

I did splurge and used the precision Acme threaded rod. I don't have any of the regular thread to compare it to, but the handles do run very smoothly on this one.

The handles started out as 2 3/8" squares, and are about 4" long. I had some fears that it would be difficult to tighten them tightly enough, but that turned out to be a total non-issue. I can generate more than enough force to bow the front jaw (1 1/4" x 4 1/2" sycamore, but only 11" between centers).

moxon-vise-12.jpg moxon-vise-09.jpg moxon-vise-08.jpg moxon-vise-07.jpg moxon-vise-06.jpg moxon-vise-05.jpg

Nicely done, Isaac!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Smith View Post
    Here is an option that requires no metalworking machines. I did use a drill press to drill the handles, but it could be done without one. You don't get the nice cast iron handwheel, but I haven't yet wished for them on this one.

I did splurge and used the precision Acme threaded rod. I don't have any of the regular thread to compare it to, but the handles do run very smoothly on this one.

The handles started out as 2 3/8" squares, and are about 4" long. I had some fears that it would be difficult to tighten them tightly enough, but that turned out to be a total non-issue. I can generate more than enough force to bow the front jaw (1 1/4" x 4 1/2" sycamore, but only 11" between centers).

moxon-vise-12.jpg moxon-vise-09.jpg moxon-vise-08.jpg moxon-vise-07.jpg moxon-vise-06.jpg moxon-vise-05.jpg
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Smith View Post

A very nice and economical solution, especially for those who don't have the ability to drill and tap a hand wheel. Beautiful saw in the first pic, btw.

Another option is just to make wooden handwheels. This thread is inspiring me to consider that when I eventually make a moxon…about 12 years ago, I needed a hand wheel for my Rockwell TS. After finding out that a factory replacement would cost more than $50 (which is almost what I paid for the saw!), I made a wheel out of hard maple. 'm still using that handwheel, almost daily, 12 years later.

Isaac,

Thank you for posting, I've been thinking my way through a similar project. A couple of questions please:

Is that a sleeve you put in the front chop, simply to keep the threads from chewing on the chop?

Did you use two nuts on each rod on the rear chop, or is that longer threaded coupling nut? If two nuts, how did you get the threads timed and tight at the same time?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, there are two nuts on the rod at the rear chop. The one in the front is recessed into the wood so that the jaws can close all the way. The second nut is just tightened onto the rod from the rear. No need to time them. The nut in the handle is fixed to the wood, but is free to rotate on the rod. The wood handle is hollowed out so that it covers the rod that projects from the front.

That is indeed a bronze sleeve bearing, and as you guessed, is simply to keep the wood off of the threads.

Since that explanation may not be as clear as it could be, there are more pictures of it here.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this post. I am going to order the parts.

Blog Entries
    UGH!!! The hand wheels are a non-NAFTA item so they cannot ship outside the US/PR. I guess I will have to ship it to mom and dad in the states. I hate rules.

If you aren't adamant about having a hand wheel there are other relatively inexpensive options out there such as a veneer press screw. Lee Valley and Rockler and others carry them. Nothing to machine.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31138
    http://www.rockler.com/woodworking/Veneer-Press-Screw
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 01-25-2014 at 5:45 PM.

Paul, this is an option that I had thought about, but quite frankly, forgotten. Do you think the handle could get in the way of sawing?
    Maurice

Isaac,

Ah, I thought the wooden handles were tight on the threads and drove the acme screw back and forth through the nuts on the rear chop.

Thanks,

Tom

Ryan could you buy the roton round steel nut that is located at the bottom of the weblink (part 89519 two items above the wing nut for $5.52ea) and just drill a 1.25in hole in the handwheel and add the set screw.
    War Eagle!

Totally true. One consideration, though, is that the handwheel hub is 1.4" in diameter (IIRC). That doesn't leave a ton of wall thickness (1.4-1.25)/2 = 0.075" for the set screw, assuming it was a circle to begin with. Loctite would work, too. This is definitely a simple enough vise that all of these sound like good options.

I went the same cheap Enco route as well. I just bought a 3' length of 1/2" rod and cut 2" handles from it instead of sourcing hand wheels. Tig welded those to the nuts for a wing nut style handle. Not as fancy as the hand wheels, but still hefty enough to spin quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VERY cool wing nuts, Jason! I'll bet they do have some heft to 'em!
    Some very interesting takes on Moxon hardware out there. This thread has shown some real talent in the Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by jason thigpen View Post
    I went the same cheap Enco route as well. I just bought a 3' length of 1/2" rod and cut 2" handles from it instead of sourcing hand wheels. Tig welded those to the nuts for a wing nut style handle. Not as fancy as the hand wheels, but still hefty enough to spin quickly.
    Maurice