Thread: Centering Router Base Plate

Centering Router Base Plate

Here's the scenario: I am using a Bosch 1617 router to cut dados (sp. dadoes?) in a board that is too wide to do so on the TS. I have built a neat little adjustable jig and am planning to use a guide bushing and 3/8" carbide spiral bit with a 1/2" shaft (upcut).

The question: I don't have a centering cone or rod for the 1/2" collet, but I do have one for the 1/4" collet…as part of a whiteside inlay set. I am planning to put the 1/4" collet on the router, set it up with inlay bushing, center the bushing, then switch collets and bushings, and mount the 3/8" bit. Everything should still be centered right? That is…once the base plate is centered on the router changing collets and bushings shouldn't affect anything.

thanks in advance!

Should be good until the next time you change sub bases.

Thanks Joe! Always good to get a confirming opinion.

In case you need additional confirmation, Joe is right on here!

Pat Warner sells a centering bit on his website (www.patwarner.com). I have one and it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kestenbaum View Post
    Here's the scenario: I am using a Bosch 1617 router to cut dados (sp. dadoes?) in a board that is too wide to do so on the TS. I have built a neat little adjustable jig and am planning to use a guide bushing and 3/8" carbide spiral bit with a 1/2" shaft (upcut).

The question: I don't have a centering cone or rod for the 1/2" collet, but I do have one for the 1/4" collet…as part of a whiteside inlay set. I am planning to put the 1/4" collet on the router, set it up with inlay bushing, center the bushing, then switch collets and bushings, and mount the 3/8" bit. Everything should still be centered right? That is…once the base plate is centered on the router changing collets and bushings shouldn't affect anything.

thanks in advance!

Bosch has a centering cone for that router that has 1/4" and 1/2" on the same device, but centering with either collet gets you to the same place. You can probably get pretty close with a chamfering bit in a pinch too.

I often use a countersink to align the base plate with the guide bushing already installed.

John

My experience has been that if I have to change the height after centering it, then it's no longer centered.
    So be mindful of that when you switch the collet and bit.