Thread: Harbor Freight pallet jack

Harbor Freight pallet jack

Any good or bad reports on the HF pallet jack?

I am considering getting one.

Rick Potter

Rick,

I purchased a mini-pallet jack from Northern Tools a couple years ago. I think HF has a similar jack, probably comes from the same source. Several people here were giving the mini pallet jack rave reviews so I bit the bullet, now I can't imagine not having it in my shop. I can move my 800 pound Felder band saw around easily, not that I need to but its sure a snap to move machines that have access for the jack. I hope to convert all my machine stands over time a get rid of all the wheels.

I use a mini pallet jack too. I'll point out that a regular full-sized pallet jack has too wide a fork spread to fit the forks under some, mostly European, machines which have cut-outs for this purpose. The mini jack is about 21" wide. I use it virtually every day I work in the shop.

Considering the load ratings of a pallet jack (mine is rated to 5000 lbs) I doubt moving any common woodworking machine would break the tool.... and they are made to run for tens of thousands of cycles. Mine gets a little sticky on going down if there's not much load on it. I jump up and down on it and it goes down. I got mine used on Craigslist for less than a hundred bucks. In So. cal there are plenty though you have to learn to tell when you're looking at a picture of a mini pallet jack. Benefit of buying used is you might get an older American made one. The Chinese bottle jacks are said to be over-rated for capacity and I'll bet the pallet jacks are too.... though the heaviest machine I move on mine is 1100 or 1200 pounds and that's a way heavier machine than most hobby shops will need to move.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 01-24-2014 at 11:39 PM.

$200 4000lb rated Menards one I would guess is similar and works great.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

2+ on getting a used or rebuilt industrial pallet jack. In Metro LA it should be easy.

I've got an engine hoist and a floor jack from Harbor Freight. Both of those do the job of lifting, but you can't leave them overnight without coming back to find the thing you were trying to hold up either on the floor, or working its way in that general direction at a higher than respectable rate. The hydraulic cylinder labels on those were oil-soaked from the day that I bought them.

On the other end, I've got two pallet jacks (Little Joe and a Lift-Rite), and a Southworth Lift (all American made). I got them all used on Craigslist. They don't leak at all, and are much more enjoyable to use. I think I paid about $225 for each of the pallet jacks, which is around 30% of their new prices. They were in slightly used condition.

HF tools are cheap for a reason. I don't have any experience with the specific jack that you're asking about, but I have used a lot of hydraulic jacks in my day, and the HF ones usually end up on the lower end of the spectrum.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I have one I purchased at Northern Tools (We have a retail center in my city). It has been flawless. No leaks, smooth operation, and perfect for moving my big machines around that don't have mobility bases. Highly recommended!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I have been checking CL and there are some there. They are all 27" wide though, and my Felder takes a max of 23. I have wanted one for years, but just figured out where to store it. Hmmm. What to do? Most of my big stuff has not been moved in years, but some needs to be moved semi-regularly, like my 36" drum sander. It has a shop fox base, but I cannot hardly get it to move.

Thanks guys.

Rick P
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-26-2014 at 3:05 AM.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have been checking CL and there are some there. They are all 27" wide though, and my Felder takes a max of 23. I have wanted one for years, but just figured out where to store it. Hmmm. What to do? Most of my big stuff has not been moved in years, but some needs to be moved semi-regularly, like my 36" drum sander. It has a shop fox base, but I cannot hardly get it to move.

Thanks guys.

Rick P
    Northern Tools sells the narrow models too. Under $200. Not sure of the actual width, but probably within your parameters.

Frank
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten