Thread: powermatic sander 300 how big is it?

powermatic sander 300 how big is it?

wondering if anyone has this, and can tell me the size, I need to take it apart, and squeeze it into my olds alero.
    The back seat folds down.
    Do you know how heavy?
    this is the only way I have to haul it, so please, no comments, such as rent a truck, rent a trailer, borrow a truck,
    Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you rent a truck?Sorry,that was just too tempting.

The only thing I can tell you about those(size wise),and have worked on several........is,I "think" there's two different base sizes.One larger one sm.....duh.Exactly which one is in your pick?Couldn't say.But if it's the larger.....it's pretty dang big.We had one around here for awhile,finally gave it to a buddy.I can get the dimensions,if you can't find them elsewhere.

No way to tell from the picture I guess, larger or smaller one?
    Mileage would kill me renting a truck, they want around 49 to 89 cents a mile.
    Think it's about 175 mile round trip.

Having hauled stuff in various vehicles, I'm going to take a guess and say you probably can do it.

If you separate the base/stand from the top it should fit.

Put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the whole load floor (including the folded seats). If you don't, then the tool will catch on every plastic edge/latch/trim that exists in the way! If you put ply down, you can place an edge of the (heavy) tool down and slide it the rest of the way without ripping up trim and getting it caught. The ply will also distribute the weight safely so you don't overload small areas.

Hopefully you can put the base onto the folded rear seats through the open rear door. Then the rest should fit in through the trunk,but it might stick up so bring blankets and bungee cords to hold down the trunk lid.

Look up the Powermatic online and see if you can find a manual that showes an exploded view of the sander. Some parts places also have exploded views on their web site. This way you can figure out how to take it apart before you get there.

If you had a hitch I would say to rent a small trailer cheap from U-haul, but you probably don't have one on the car. Installing one would be costly, but would give you the future benefit of using a trailer if needed to haul wood, etc.

Good Luck
    Steve

Here is a link to a pdf file of an owner's manual. Hopefully it's close to what you have.

http://fesstech.weebly.com/uploads/1...elt_sander.pdf

Steve

OK thanks to all, I don't have a hitch; yet, I plan on getting one. and a transmission cooler too. Hitch is about $150.00 on amazon.
    There is part of a door in the car already I can slide the base on.
    This is still in a auction, so I don't know if I will get it for sure.

If you remove the tool itself you'll find it fairly compact. Awkward to load, but not that large. The base with the motor in it will be difficult to lift over the lip and put in the trunk. If you have to do it yourself, I suggest removing the motor first. A piece of carpet draped over the trunk lip will help.

Agreed, I think you can do it without much problem. You should be able to bring it to the rear bumper and tip it in. Worst case remove the business end if tele machine.

How bout a Uhaul with a lift gate,saves your back unloading or buy your hitch from them and they will install.Where I'm at you can rent a truch from HD for 20.00 for the first hr but you may have to buy a 12' 1x4.

Mileage is a killer, think they said >79 cents a mile. I got a guy is supposed to ride up there with a truck if I win it. I might bid on a digital piano too.
    No HD around here.
    I plan on getting a hitch this spring, and a transmission cooler too.

I'll only rent a trailer if the machine is over 1000lb. and too tall or wide to load into a vehicle. The 250lb this machine may weigh soaking wet is nothing.

Steve,

What a great find! I'm sure it was appriciated

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edwards View Post
    Steve,

What a great find! I'm sure it was appriciated

Ed
    Hopefully it's close to what you have
    Attached Images Attached Images