Thread: Need Help Finding the Right Screw

Need Help Finding the Right Screw

I'm building a simple coat hook mounting bracket for my daughter and her family. The hooks she chose came with screws that are too long for the mounting board. So I'd simply like to replace the screws with shorter ones. Unfortunately, I must be looking in all the wrong places online because I cannot find what I need. I need at least 20 pieces of an #8 by 3/4 or 7/8 length, oval head, Phillips, oil rubbed bronze screw.

Any suggestions?
    Wood'N'Scout

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Steve,

I found some here but they aren't oil rubbed: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...rson+Oval+Head

I've dealt with this company and found their service to be excellent!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tim,

If the threads on the screw are standard machine threads, that will work fine. I would be hesitant to use that on wood screw threads, however, as the female threads in the tool could potentially be damaged rendering the tool useless for future use on machine screws.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks to all that have replied.

The link to Home Depot was new to me. It seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I was in my local HD this AM and didn't find anything. It seems that the closest couple of stores don't carry this item, however I could order and wait for a week and pay shipping charges larger than the cost of the screws.

I had already checked with Jamestown and they don't seem to carry anything that meets the spec.

Cutting what I have down with the tool mentioned wouldn't work. If necessary I can grind off the screw ends but it would be a lot of messing around.

I could get the screw finder on McFeely's to work for what I wanted. They don't seem to carry much in oval head screws.
    Wood'N'Scout

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    If necessary I can grind off the screw ends but it would be a lot of messing around.
    Steve, I have ground screws to the needed length countless times. It is often quicker, easier, & cheaper than running to the hardware store.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've also done this in the past and will probably resort to doing this again for this project. However, I was trying to avoid this since I've got a couple of other projects going at the same time (a glue up in clamps and poly drying on the second project).
    Wood'N'Scout

I've had luck in the past in this situation with first establishing the screw threads in the wood with the long one and then just clip the screws and line up with those threads.

Just make the screws shorter. Cut them with diagonal cutters (a.k.a. "dikes") or use a hacksaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I'm building a simple coat hook mounting bracket for my daughter and her family. The hooks she chose came with screws that are too long for the mounting board. So I'd simply like to replace the screws with shorter ones. Unfortunately, I must be looking in all the wrong places online because I cannot find what I need. I need at least 20 pieces of an #8 by 3/4 or 7/8 length, oval head, Phillips, oil rubbed bronze screw.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    Thanks Michael, it looks like these would work. However at almost $0.50 each, plus shipping, I think I'm going to use what I have. It will be faster and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Wood'N'Scout