Thread: Tilted platter

Tilted platter

A few months ago, I was working on some off-center turning and experimented with some platters. This one isn't really off-center as much as "tilted" to create the accents.

Hard maple 10.5" diameter. Lacquer finish.

C&C welcome

IMG_7300.jpgIMG_7302.jpg

I like the effect! I get patterns like those when I least want them.......but if tried to do it intentionally, I'm sure the piece wouldn't cooperate . What did you use to darken the crescents?
    Dick Mahany.

i like that...a lot!

What I'm most impressed with is that this looks brand new, yet apparently, it was made almost 700 years ago!

Eric, you did a splendid job on this one. I think the tilted accents add a splash of fun to the turning. Well, spaced out, and crisp. The sanding job and finish look perfect. I do have a question: What is the black smudge on the bottom of the turning?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the comments.

Dick, I used black Transtint dye mixed with DNA to blacken the crescents. Next time, I will use something different, since it was so thin that it bled through. I anticipated some migration of the dye and tried to avoid it by spraying the whole piece with lacquer prior to tipping the piece and turning the crescents. This worked pretty well on the front face but allowed some bleeding through to the back.

Mike, you have a good eye!. I assume that you are referring to the smudge on the bottom of the underside. It is where the black Transtint bled through from the crescent in the front.

Pretty nifty Eric, bleed thru is inevitable on the thinner material . I like the shape of the flange bowl as well!!
    John 3:16

Eric, thanks for the info on the transtint dye. Still love the look, and that maple finished superbly, I'd be proud of that one.
    Dick Mahany.