Thread: Yarn Bowl

Yarn Bowl

This yarn bowl is for my sister-in-law who knits on road trips while my brother drives. The basic plan I from a wood magazine article a few months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

..and it matches the cars interior somewhat ! Nice work Paul , the maple and walnut go well together.
    John 3:16

Very nice. Great idea for the cup holder adaptor.

Showed the images to the DW and she is now going "emmmm"

I told her she could make it, on her lathe.....

A couple years ago she came to a dinner meeting of the turning clubs officers and found out we needed a new treasurer, since she was a book-keeper....

After a few months she decided if she was going to be in the club, she should learn to turn.

Shortly after that we had to buy another lathe, more tools, her own breathing mask, her....
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Paul, you could have, at least, vacuumed your floor mats before taking the pic! Don't worry, you won't see any pics from inside my truck. I'd have to spend more than a few minutes vacuuming the floor mats to make it presentable...

Hey, that yarn bowl is not only a great idea, but your execution (making it pretty) is a real bonus. I'm sure she'll love it!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Great job Paul!! What magazine did you get that out of? I take Wood magazine and don't recall seeing it, but I could have missed it. I made one for my MIL a couple of years ago, but the cup holder idea is neat. Post which magazine if you don't mind. Thanks,

Jeff

The cup holder idea is nifty and I like the bowl a lot I've done a few yarn bowls for the boss although she still seems to prefer working out of a bag for some reason

I apologize for my memory. The magazine was the December 2013 issue of Woodworker's Journal. Perhaps I meant wood magazine in a more generic sense :-) It is a good article and does include a plan, but you don't need it. Just make a bowl Shape doesn't appear to be too important. Cut a shallow recess in the bottom and size the stand to fit your cup holder and the recess. You also need a hole or a "J" shaped slot for the yarn to exit. The other holes are to hold needles. I think mine is too small for normal work but fits the individual's need. The other one I did is more "ball shaped" and 6 1/4" at the rim. I think it is likely to be a more useful bowl. The one I posted had to fit my brother's car. (not the car in the photo)
    Last edited by Paul Williams; 01-27-2014 at 10:57 PM.