Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better Bang For The Buck - Dust Collection

I have the Laguna 2HP cyclone. It is the definitely the same as the King DC. I love mine. Easy to roll around if needed. Mine is tucked in a storage area under the basement stairs, so I usually roll it out a few feet. I got it last summer, and have not done any duct work yet. I bought the expanding hose from Rockler, and their Dust Right quick connect ports for my tools. I just move the hose, and it is easy enough that I've delayed doing any duct work.

The design is really excellent. The clamps that hold the lid down on the dust bin are easy to release, and the bin rolls out on its own casters. The bin also has a clear window to see if it is full. The remote is really nice to have. I have no dust issues with mine. No leakages, either. Always spotless around the unit. I am in a small basement shop, so noise was a consideration. This cyclone is quiet, in fact, my table saw drowns it out. I use it on my table saw, jointer, planer, and band saw. The band saw pickup is not great, but the port on the saw is at fault, not the DC. It was expensive, but the ease of use is a winning factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    I have the Laguna 2HP cyclone. It is the definitely the same as the King DC. I love mine. Easy to roll around if needed. Mine is tucked in a storage area under the basement stairs, so I usually roll it out a few feet. I got it last summer, and have not done any duct work yet. I bought the expanding hose from Rockler, and their Dust Right quick connect ports for my tools. I just move the hose, and it is easy enough that I've delayed doing any duct work.

The design is really excellent. The clamps that hold the lid down on the dust bin are easy to release, and the bin rolls out on its own casters. The bin also has a clear window to see if it is full. The remote is really nice to have. I have no dust issues with mine. No leakages, either. Always spotless around the unit. I am in a small basement shop, so noise was a consideration. This cyclone is quiet, in fact, my table saw drowns it out. I use it on my table saw, jointer, planer, and band saw. The band saw pickup is not great, but the port on the saw is at fault, not the DC. It was expensive, but the ease of use is a winning factor for me.
    Good info. Not convinced the King and Laguna are the same beast. Specs are pretty different as presented. Different CFM, different can capacity, different weight etc. Probably close enough that your experiences are relevant.
    Thanks.

Hi Mike, before I bought either of those I would obtain a third party test of the filter.

The small dust is the really dangerous stuff, both for you and your family.

My second comment is that a cyclone is always the preffered choice if you need filters, as they separate the dust out much more effectively.

The hand crank on the filter is an admission that the separation of the single stage unit is insufficient to prevent filter clogging.

The cyclone will at some point need a filter cleaning, I have an Oneida cyclone with a HEPA filter at home in the basement of a townhouse, works great.

Regards, Rod.

Another consideration is that it is not safe to assume that a DC that provides the most air without a cyclone or thien separator will perform best once you add the load. For a given horsepower load, an impellor can be designed for max volume at low suction or to accept a lower flow but perform better under "load". To answer that question you need the fan curves for both units. :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!