Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motor size

Geoff, I think you hit the nail on the head... A 1/2 hp full sized Baldor motor is going to have a lot more torque than a 1/2 hp DC motor on a mini lathe. What is funny is that we, as turners, talk about hp when talking about power in our lathes. But torque is much more important. Kinda like a corvette and a 1 ton pick up. I'll take my Duramax diesel in a pickup over the V8 from a Vette for hauling any day. But I also wouldn't want a Duramax in a Vette. A Justy might pass me!
    I drink, therefore I am.

The way so many of you guys are trying to sell me, I guess I should expect that the next big lathes coming out will have 1/2 hp motors. Wonder why the manufacturers never thought of it? Maybe Robust would build a custom one for you! I also don't consider the Vega bowl lathe to be an example of modern design and engineering. Those guys at Vega are the greatest, but as it was once explained to me, "It looks like a lathe I would build in my farm shop." Their new ones sure don't have a 1/2hp. Geoff, you haven't used a descriptor of time closer than pretty good, or not long, and pretty big for your shaving size. How long did it really take you to do that 18" diameter bowl? Sell me with some numbers. Sorry guys, no matter how many of you have had wonderful experiences with 1/2 hp motors on your wood lathes, I would never recommend one to anyone. If too much horsepower scares you, or you think it leads to accidents, tell a beginner to loosen the belt so it slips while you are learning. They will appreciate a bigger motor when they have learned what to do, and they won't have to switch motors latter.

Richard, I fear you may have misunderstood me. I'm not saying that 1/2 hp is enough. I was simply saying that there is a difference between a 1/2 hp Baldor full size motor and the 1/2 hp DC motors on mini lathes. Also, my point about the Vega lathes is that they most certainly used an older technology which utilizes a jackshaft to "increase" power to the spindle. Most (if not all) modern lathes are either direct drive or go straight from the motor to the spindle...with a belt (but no jackshaft). A 2 hp motor is almost certainly a must for any lathe with capabilities of 18" or over. Much of that is because modern lathes use 3 phase motors with VFDs (to make them electronically variable speed). On older lathes, when you changed speeds from 400 rpm to 2400 rpm, you moved the belt on your step pulleys. This kept your motor's torque constant throughout your speed range. Today's lathes change speeds electronically, and in so doing, lose power as you turn down the speed. So, that is why, in my opinion, the newer and larger lathes come with 2 and 3 hp motors. Do you need all 3 hp to turn a 20" bowl? No. But if you are turning a 20" blank at 400 rpm on a modern lathe, you will not be utilizing the entire 3 hp. If you are using an older lathe with pulleys and a jackshaft. A 1 hp motor might just give you the same power output to the spindle at the same 400 rpm.

Bottom line, you don't want to put a 3 hp motor on a 60 year old Delta lathe. The motor WILL/CAN transfer ALL of that 3 hp to the spindle...even at the lower speeds. And the lathe simply isn't built to handle the torque/pressures that can be experienced.

To answer the OP's question, if I remember it correctly... For a 12" lathe, the size of your motor should likely be in the 3/4-1 hp range. That, of course depends on the lathe, too. A 12" midi lathe can't handle what a 12" PM90 can handle. Mini/midis, in my opinion, are great for pens, bottle stoppers, small (6" diameter) hollow forms, and the likes. If you want to turn 10-12" bowls, you should move up to a larger lathe. An 11-12" out of balance blank (and it is hard to get them all to be well balanced) can toss around a 600 lb lathe...let alone a 100 lber.
    I drink, therefore I am.

First I should point out that I am not much of a turner and am still learning.

When I first got my lathe it had a 1/6 hp motor and I made quite a bit of shaving with it while trying to learn how to use a skew. I now have a 1 hp motor on it but the belt slips so bad it is worse than the 1/6 hp motor.

I would suggest if you already have the 1/2 hp motor use it. If you are buying a new one going with a larger motor may be the way to go.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I would go so far as to suggest that this is a somewhat silly argument. Of course more power would be "better". But the power you "need" is an altogether different issue. If it were a matter of choosing between a .5 hp motor and a 2hp motor, the 2hp would, all other considerations being equal, be the obvious choice. But, as has been pointed out, much can be done on a machine with a smaller motor, even to the extent of turning a bowl large enough to max out your swing capacity. I would suggest using the machine "as is" until such time as a larger motor becomes a recognizable and justifiable need.
    David DeCristoforo

I would second David's opinion about sticking with the 1/2 hp motor.

IMO the 1/2 hp is good for beginners so that you don't get into too much trouble before the motor stalls and catches should be less violent (kind of like a sorby steb center that slips when you get a catch). The 1/2 hp motor will also make it so that you are forced to turn with sharp tools and take lighter cuts, otherwise you will stall the lathe often. Have fun with what you have for a while and be sure to post your work!

Be safe,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I would go so far as to suggest that this is a somewhat silly argument. Of course more power would be "better". But the power you "need" is an altogether different issue. If it were a matter of choosing between a .5 hp motor and a 2hp motor, the 2hp would, all other considerations being equal, be the obvious choice. But, as has been pointed out, much can be done on a machine with a smaller motor, even to the extent of turning a bowl large enough to max out your swing capacity. I would suggest using the machine "as is" until such time as a larger motor becomes a recognizable and justifiable need.
    Thank you, for clarifying my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    I would suggest if you already have the 1/2 hp motor use it. If you are buying a new one going with a larger motor may be the way to go.
    This is probably the best advice so far.

And, my apologies...as a relatively new member of this forum, I hadn't realized that the value of a member's opinions are judged by the size of his...uh, "shavings." I'll try to keep that in mind

Geoff. Nice one!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gaudet View Post
    Thank you, for clarifying my point.

This is probably the best advice so far.

And, my apologies...as a relatively new member of this forum, I hadn't realized that the value of a member's opinions are judged by the size of his...uh, "shavings." I'll try to keep that in mind
    I'll apologize as well. I thought beginning turners on here would appreciate the advice of someone with 30 years of experience. My bad!