Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got me a new lathe!

Got me a new lathe!

I have been saving for quite a while for a Robust AB lathe and was still several thousand short, when I phone call from my buddy Jim Adkins came in and he offered to sell me his "extra" lathe. A VicMarc VL300 (3HP, 23.5" swing)! He won it a couple years ago and after deciding that his Stubby was enough for him, he sold me the VicMarc. So... My wife and I made the road trip to SE Missouri yeasterday and came back today. Not a lot of visiting time, but we made the most of it and enjoyed seeing Jim and his better half. Jim also included a VicMarc chuck, a Robust tool rest and a OneWay live center that he had purposely bought just for this lathe! More goodies for me!!

I got it into the shop tonight but was toooo tired to take the skids off, move it into place and bolt the extra 19" bed extension and outboard turning attachment to the lathe ....tonight. I will get that stuff done tomorrow. Its a beast of a lathe and with the add-ons it will be between 750-800lbs with an ability to turn a 38" spindle. I can't wait to chuck up something big and turn without worry of the lathe walking across the floor and using the variable speed!! Whohoo!. Thanks to Jim Adkins for a great time, good eats and a great deal on this lathe. It will get used at my place!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wow! That is one tremendous machine. Really looking forward to your sharing your experiences with it. Congratulations.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Congratulations Scott! That is supposed to be a superb lathe!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Let's see, bigger chainsaw, chain hoist, 1" powder metal gouge. Bigger photo tent, trailor to haul logs, maybe a tractor with a bucket. One thing leads to another. The vortex just gets deeper and deeper and deeper. Enjoy the slippery slope.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

5. Great score, Scott.......congratulations! That ought to keep you busy for a while!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Let's see, bigger chainsaw, chain hoist, 1" powder metal gouge. Bigger photo tent, trailor to haul logs, maybe a tractor with a bucket. One thing leads to another. The vortex just gets deeper and deeper and deeper. Enjoy the slippery slope.

Bob,

We'll just have to expect BIGGER things out of Scott!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great score Scott. We look forward to seeing some new and exciting turnings from you and your new beast.
    Steve

You got yourself a real fine lathe Scott, congratulations.

Yes bigger ability, just don't get hurt bigger , we like to see your products for a while yet
    Have fun and take care

Envy. It lives here.

Sweet! If the outboard tool rest I got from Jim Keenan is any indication, that thing is built like a tank!
    David DeCristoforo

congratulations Scott, enjoy

Recent post by Scott - "I generally turn smaller (4-5") HFs and prefer a 1/2" hole and about a 3/4-1" base, tucked under. The larger the diameter the larger hole. One of the last larger HFs I made was about 8-9" wide and I had a 3/4" hole and probably about a 1 1/2" bottom."

Scott, that sure is a lotta lathe!! I suspect the size of your turnings may "evolve!" Congrats!

So its an English loss and an Aussie gain? Wonderful lathe, look forward to seeing the output.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Congratulations Scott,

You better take a week off from work so you can get acquainted with the new lathe and start ordering all those accessories

Scott,
    Good turners should own great lathes and the Vic 300 is a standout machine. Do it justice.
    faust