Thread: Metal template questions?

Metal template questions?

I am currently using a mini-max t124 copy lathe with wood templates(that I hand turned).I was wanting to switch to metal templates (due to the amount of turnings) but have no experience with cutting metal. I will have to make many different size and style templates because I am turning baseball bats...any suggestions?

do you have a bandsaw? if so, if you get aluminum(thin) you can generally cut with a bandsaw or even a coping saw
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Many welding and machine shops have CNC controlled plasma cutters that could provide templates if you have a DXF file to cut from. Or you could supply an original and pay them to draw it up too.

You could also cut something out of UHMW plastic yourself. Or, once again, get someone with a CNC router to cut a pattern for you.

Or as Michelle suggested, you could cut aluminum sheet with your bandsaw/jigsaw.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I would have a ball bearing follower made so you do not have any friction on the pattern. You can also use something like super glue to soak into a flat wood pattern and make it harder on the edge. Jim's idea is good, but I would prefer a water jet or laser cut piece of steel for smoothness. Bandsawn steel is going to take a long time to file smooth and to a fair curve.

I know some turners do use Lexan as it is harder and more durable than wood.
    Have fun and take care