Thread: Hanging pictures on brick wall

Hanging pictures on brick wall

I have built a cooking area on our deck and would like to hang a couple of metal signs on the brick wall. I don't want to drill into the brick so do any of you have any tips or innovative ways to hang something without drilling? I have had good luck with the Command Strips in my daughters apartment but doubt they will work outside. Thanks
    Hal

Definately wouldn't call it "innovative" but.....drill and use the anchor du-jour in the mortar joint.Use the "bed" joints,not head joints.The reason being,they're so easily fixed......its one of lifes simple pleasures.50,100,200 years from now,some guy will easily be able to fill the hole,and make it look very good,with minimal effort.

Head joints don't work because they aren't solid.Bricks can also be of core lock design with hollow spots or of the solid,wood mould variety.But finding brick replacements is a pain compared to "runnin some mortar".

Any way to hang them with wire/string from above, like as in a picture rail in some older homes?

Blog Entries
    I don't know, Brian... I was always told/shown to use the brick itself, not the mortar, to prevent cracks from propagating.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I second Pat's idea. As long as the weight is not too much. Check Lowes and home Depot.

I third Pat's advice. I use the LV clips for wreaths and other christmas stuff on our bricks, and they've not let go yet. If you do decide to move them, they leave no marks.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

How much do the signs weigh? IF THE MORTAR IS IN GOOD CONDITION, and if the signs are lightweight tin etc. I wouldn't hesitate to drill into the mortar using an 1/8" masonry bit and rotary impact hammer at a slight downward angle, then tap a clipped 16d finish nail into the hole.

You can try those hanger things but the first stiff wind that comes along you'll be picking your signs up off the ground.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Houle View Post
    Thats what I'm looking for. If they aren't stable enough I may use the small drill in the mortar.

They look like a great idea. How well do they stay in good shape? They're obviously not stainless, so do they rust over time? My only concern would be getting rust streaks down the face.

Personally, I would drill into the mortar. You can always grout, epoxy, or otherwise caulk the hole later and it probably would be un-noticeable unless someone was really looking for it.

Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I definitely agree with the brick clips. I had some for several years and used them to hang signs and wreaths on the outside of the house and to hang some things on the fireplace inside. I passed them on to one of my kids when I moved. All of the weight is on the top toothed lip. The spring loaded bottom lip is only for adjusting to brick height and to maintain tension.
    They will carry anything you mentioned in your post.

I'll ask again; does the finish holdup in the weather or will they rust eventually? Anyone who has used them for a period of time have any insight?

I've left mine on the front of the garage for 4 years now, Rick, and there is no rust. They've been rained on and snow on, and so far, they look like new.

As for wind pulling them off, we've had some 50+ KM an hour winds this winter and while I did lose one wreath, the clip stayed on the brick. The wreath simply blew off the clip.

I'm not stating that these are a stronger hold than drilling, but the OP said that he didn't want to drill, so I put these out as an alternative.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Grant.