View Poll Results: what size jointer do you have?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4" jointer.

10 2.18%
  • 6" jointer

171 37.34%
  • 8" jointer.

153 33.41%
  • 12" jointer.

96 20.96%
  • Do not own a jointer.

39 8.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What size jointer do you have?

16" Club. S.A. Woods. 7.5 HP GE Motor.

Woods Small.jpg

I have a Delta 8". Upgraded from a 6" years ago and have not found any need to go bigger. I have upgraded my planer to 20" and this combination suffices for all of my cabinetmaking needs.

Mark
    i have not got them all in a Jackafied condition.

I do like my 6" Bursgreen c 1950 with it parallelogram tables and skewed knife head. the little beast is heaver than my 8" long bed General.

12515-F.jpg

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=12515

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Jack,

One must ask a few questions. Not to get to personal,... but ;-)

1. Do you ever sleep?

2. No offense but did you hit the Canadian Lottery?

3. Where do you find the time to impeccably restore these machines?

4. Wow?
    jack
    English machines

wow im kinda new to pro cabinet making and i have to ask what on earth do u guys use a 16 in jointer for? and doent a machine like that run $7-$12k in price tag?
    Ps i have a 8" powermatic(if i rember its 72") and the other then limiting the work to 8" in width look how long the table is as thats what limits how well it will work on longer stock. I love my jointer very much its so nice when i put new blades on it they are hard to pick up off the outfeed table cus its sealed with air to it ! Then i know i set my tool right

A 14" J/P combo.

6. Well, sometimes a wider jointer can save you time and that's important in pro work. You might glue up a 16" wide panel out of unsurfaced boards for a 20" wide frame and panel door. Run the rough panel on the jointer a few times, feed it through the planer, then through a finishing sander. If you had a 20" jointer a panel for a 24" wide door could be done this way. It's all rather extravagant unless you're financially incentivized to maximize productivity. These days with the ability to easily outsource most cabinet doors...

There's also the usage of people who are doing stuff like getting 14" wide mahogany boards and resawing them.

I will tell you for sure that in terms of increasing shop efficiency for the pro working to get established I'd say a wide belt or stroke sander is a wiser investment than a big jointer. I say this a bit sheepishly as I recently scored and mothballed a 16" jointer I don't even have room to set up. I did acquire a stroke sander and small wide belt first though.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 02-04-2014 at 6:10 PM.

The working width of the jointer (and planer) on my J/P combo is 350mm...about 13.7". I sometimes wish it was wider. Note I almost never "edge joint" on my jointer since I have a sliding table saw, but I flatten board faces before planing to thickness.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

1949 Wheatley 8" short-bed. Found it sitting on a dirt floor in a barn. Cleaned out the mud wasp nests, removed the rust, rebuilt the old 1 HP Century R/I motor, replaced a couple of bearings, put it on a new stand and put in some dust collection. Now it's a beautiful machine and a pleasure to use in a small shop.

Attachment-1-2.jpgAttachment-1-3.jpgIMG_1244.jpgIMG_1223 - Version 2.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Kellison; 02-07-2014 at 10:21 PM.

I have an Inca 570 which has a 10-1/4" width Tersa cutterhead. It is the perfect width for my needs.

That's an awesome fence on your jointer. I wish my jointer had that fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    1949 Wheatley 8" short-bed. Found it sitting on a dirt floor in a barn. Cleaned out the mud wasp nests, removed the rust, rebuilt the old 1 HP Century R/I motor, replaced a couple of bearings, put it on a new stand and put in some dust collection. Now it's a beautiful machine and a pleasure to use in a small shop.

Attachment-1-2.jpgAttachment-1-3.jpgIMG_1244.jpgIMG_1223 - Version 2.jpg

16" Fay and Egan, 6" Craftsman King Seely

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Leung View Post
    I have an Inca 570 which has a 10-1/4" width Tersa cutterhead. It is the perfect width for my needs.

+1 on the Tersa head I like the quick change option to use different knives for different woods
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by andy photenas View Post
    wow im kinda new to pro cabinet making and i have to ask what on earth do u guys use a 16 in jointer for?
    Facing 16" wide boards.

Several times a year it's not big enough for the boards I buy. Building 3 board tops for tavern tables in 36"-45" widths is historically accurate and pleasing to the eye. Customers are willing to pay accordingly.

410 mm (~16")

Shift the fence as needed to expose fresh portion of blades - even when face jointing Oh, and 8' of tables
    JR

22", did not see in list.

P1010784.small.jpg

Mike