Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts availability for Delta 46-460?

Parts availability for Delta 46-460?

Does anyone know if parts have gotten easier to find for the delta 46-460? In the last couple of days, I have had some problem with the speed control. it would start up slow, then suddenly speed up to the speed it was supposed to. I've also had it running at a consistent speed, only to slow down (I wasn't turning at that point) for a few seconds and then speed up. I have blown out the box several times, but I suspect one of the components is starting to go.Thanks in advance.Dave

I had a similar issue. I took my speed knob apart and cleaned the contact plate. It did not look dirty but after I did that I have not had another issue in over a year.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Thank you, Jack. I haven't tried that. I will work on that this weekend.

This is a very difficult issue because of Delta's recent track record with replacement parts. Do whatever you can yourself to clean it.

After my 6 weeks without a Delta 46-460 just because the on-off switch failed, I got a replacement part. Here are a few of the steps:

1) Turned it in to the 1 remaining certified Delta repair place. Was told they waited over 6 months for some parts.
    2) E-mailed Delta Service.
    3) Searched all of the spare parts websites. Nothing available.
    4) After over a month, made a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau in the area of Delta Machinery.
    5) Wrote continual complaints on the Delta Employee Facebook page.
    6) Wrote to the President of the company telling him about the BBB complaint and saying I hoped they would not have to go to small claims court just over an on-off switch.
    7) Called Customer Service, the same people who I had e-mailed at the beginning. After several calls the manager of the Customer Service phone dept took a control unit off of another machine and sent it to me. The local Delta Authorized Service person was stunned I had managed to get a replacement part.

So that is why I recommend you start with further cleaning as Jack Gaskins tried. Then prepare to write Delta Customer Service, bring it to your Delta Authorized Service center, call Delta Customer Service, and be prepared to complain at the BBB and write the president if nothing happens in 4 to 6 weeks.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thank you... It gives me a plan of action to proceed.. I appreciate it.

I was told not to buy anything Delta by a equipment dealer not too long ago. It saddens me to think that this reliable old company has followed in the footsteps of so many others...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I agree Jim. Their lathes are so great. They could keep up the sales figures just by keeping up with service.

Can't speak for the 460 but I tried to find replacement parts for my 715 last year and had trouble even locating the proper belt (among other parts). I also had speed and vibration problems. Several sites had parts listed but almost all were "out of stock" with no back order or availability date. I ended up with a new lathe. Try a good cleaning, good luck!

I get that problem every so often with my 46-460. I just hold my shop vac hose up against the knob and switch and the grill in back. It goes away and is good for another month or so. I do try to vacuum out those same items every time I quit turning, but it isn't habit yet. When it finally fails I plan to replace with standard electronic parts. I will look for a sealed switch and rheostat, but there is really nothing special about the parts that are in there. You might be concerned abut warranty issues if your lathe is fairly knew. Mine isn't.

It is disheartening to hear about the continued parts/customer service problems with Delta. I really like my 46-460, but these issues me wonder if I should have gone with another manufacturer. Mine works fine for now but I would hate for it to become a giant paperweight if something breaks and I can't get parts.

I'm afraid mine has died too. really like it but it only runs in reverse. Of course Delta customer service says reversing switches are expected in June of 2014. Service center doesn't have them, ereplacement parts says not available, and no one seems to have a workaround. I had the same problem last fall but took the switch housing off and blew it out with compressed air which seemed to fix it . This time it didn't work. I may have found an answer on Amazon: Reverse Switch which I think I will try. Also wonder about bypassing reverse switch and running as a single direction unit. This is the second piece of Delta I have had problems with. The other was an oscillating sander that could not find replacement capacitor. I think my drill press is the only piece of Delta I have left. Its a shame such a company can get a reputation as being faulty and poor service. Doubt I will buy another piece of Delta.

I wonder if a class action lawsuit is the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan East View Post
    I'm afraid mine has died too. really like it but it only runs in reverse. Of course Delta customer service says reversing switches are expected in June of 2014. Service center doesn't have them, ereplacement parts says not available, and no one seems to have a workaround. I had the same problem last fall but took the switch housing off and blew it out with compressed air which seemed to fix it . This time it didn't work. I may have found an answer on Amazon: Reverse Switch which I think I will try. Also wonder about bypassing reverse switch and running as a single direction unit. This is the second piece of Delta I have had problems with. The other was an oscillating sander that could not find replacement capacitor. I think my drill press is the only piece of Delta I have left. Its a shame such a company can get a reputation as being faulty and poor service. Doubt I will buy another piece of Delta.
    From desription on Amazon...

Product Description

30 amp, Momentary On-Off-Momentary On Rocker Switch.

Don't think you want to deal with a momentary contact switch.. you have to hold it down or find a way to keep it held down.

The capacitor you should be able to get any one of dozens of places!

I got lucky with a broken switch on my 1440. Part from Grizzly fit perfectly and functions better than the original.

If you have tried & failed,then, try this: call 843-745-9197 to the distribution center in Charleston, SC. It worked great for me. Also for parts, have you tried ereplacementparts.com ?
    I like my 46-460 but do fear having a problem & needing help.
    Good luck.