Thread: Second time for this

Second time for this

I bought the Woodriver guide system for cutting down large panels. It is no track saw, however for the 8-10 panels I do a year it is fine for me. The system has a saw/router base where you need to mount the tool to that base and it has channel that rides along the aluminum rail. I decided to dedicate my 6 1/2 Ridgid saw to this system. I put on a new Diablo 40 tooth blade on the saw (same as blade I took off). Tried this out on a 1/4 inch panel and started seeing smoke. First thought was this system doesn't work well and just wasted my money. Then I remembered this was the same as the previous blade. I put the blade on with the imprint facing out as I do all of the blades I own. Well for this blade it rotates in the wrong direction with the imprint facing out. I dismounted the saw and reversed the blade so the rotation is correct and what a nice smooth difference. I hate it when the mfg does things like this, but I also should have looked closer when installing it the first time. The 7 1/4 blade installs with the imprint out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oops. Trust me, you are not the only one to do that.

RP

I think that a lot of us including me would admit to doing it at least once. I remember when I did it and thinking to myself that it was good nobody was watching at the time.

I once mounted a14" plywood blade on a Format 4 slider and cut panels all day long. Never even noticed

They make circular saws with left as well as right designs now so the blade may have been intended for a saw that is opposite to yours. There shouldn't be any difference other than the printing. Just look at your blade and always mount it with the teeth pointing up toward the front of your saw and don't look at the printed label on the blades anymore when mounting them. It happens to all of us.

Charley

I know that it is possible to use a bandsaw blade with the teeth facing up to create that same smoke ;-)

You are definitely not alone.

Tom

It is also possible to do that with a chainsaw. Been there done that on a band saw, circular saw and chainsaw.

I ran a CNC mill with the spindle reversed...and finished the part thinking the bit was just dull. Shop was filled with smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I once mounted a14" plywood blade on a Format 4 slider and cut panels all day long. Never even noticed
    Now that is a saw blade!

A shaper cutter in backwards is fun to.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

The very idea!!! I can't believe you guys. (note to self: Don't ever tell 'em the things I've done backwards.)
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Most circular saws are the sidewinder variety, probably because they are cheaper, you have a worm drive. Freud probably went with printing on that side because it is correct for most saws. Also, worm drive saws tend to be owned by a customer with a better skill set, so they can figure it out better. At least that is my take on it. I use them on my saws too, and noticed the same thing.

FYI, putting the scoring blade in backwards in a tablesaw is interesting as well. It feeds really fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    FYI, putting the scoring blade in backwards in a tablesaw is interesting as well. It feeds really fast!
    I would like to see a 3/4" dado blade backwards in a table saw.....wait a sec, maybe I don't want to see that..

Pat you do not want to see that, The dittohead was not in backwards but dado took the tip of three of my fingers they look like hamburger. that was 20 years ago now the only problem I have is when I cup my hand with a handful small screws they fall through the hole where my fingers where
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I did put my brand new Forrest Dado King set in backwards. It cut very slowly. Genius that I am, it wasn't until the cut started smoking that I stopped and looked. Thankfully the dado set worked fine after reversing it.

Rick Potter