Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding table in table saw extension - good idea?

Sanding table in table saw extension - good idea?

I'm looking to see if anyone has tried something like this. I'm thinking of adding an extension table to my tablesaw (unisaw) and incorporating a home made sanding table into it. If i do this clearly i'm not planning on adding any kind of walls on any sides of it -- that may or may not be an issue.

Is this a bad idea? Any suggestions on how to make this work well. BTW this will feed into a 5HP Clearvue located beneath the shop fed by 6" pipe.

Here's a couple variations i'm considering

option 1.pngoption 2.png
    Last edited by Bob Cooper; 01-27-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: adding pictures
    Bob C

That is a very interesting idea- I'm very interested to see what is said.

nice...One thing i'd need to figure out would be hole configuration. I've got a 6" pipe going to the dust collector that i need to keep fed plus i want to make sure i have reasonable coverage over the area with holes. Thinking...

The more i think about it, the more difficult it seems to get something that works reasonably well. For example it would seem like i would need larger open area the further i get from the middle of the 6" duct -- either by making the holes larger or putting more of them in a given area.
    Bob C

Here is a better shot of the top of mine. The number of holes that were originally in the top was about half of what you see in the picture. They are 3/4" dia. and have a 1/8" radius. It works as is for now but I know I'm going to need to add some more to make it more effective.
    IMG_20131128_074538.jpgIMG_20131128_074547.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Bienlein; 01-28-2014 at 2:16 PM.

It'd work although there'd be some trade-offs. For a sawing surface I want as slippery as possible but for sanding I'd like it to be non-slippery; almost silicone-covered. That's why I think of a saw & router table as better shared table matches.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Jim has a good thought about the slickness. How about making the sanding table just a bit lower, and make a Formica top for when it is used as an outfeed table? You could spray some of that bedliner stuff on the sanding surface, just be sure to get the kind that dries completely.

Rick Potter

Rick...actually that's an interesting idea. Either a bit lower or just a replaceable top. I'm still though thinking my biggest issue will be one of getting good suction. Also i'm not sure which of the two configurations would be most useful -- longer and skinny vs square. The former i think would more functional but distributing suction seems like it would be tougher.
    Bob C

Alan...your attachments didn't come thru.
    Bob C

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Alan...your attachments didn't come thru.
    I reloaded them. Thanks.

I have a downdraft table integrated into a workbench that has a melamine top. The melamine is, of course, fairly slippery, so when I use the downdraft for sanding I put down a sheet of that tacky, sort-of-woven-look liner for toolboxes, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-19410...box+liner+matt

It's tacky enough to grip the melamine and the workpiece pretty well, and the holes allow it to pass the dust through. Works for me.

I use a Shopsmith quite a bit in my shop. It has the adjustable table vs. the adjustable blade for height of the blade. I have been wanting to build an outfeed table for it. The idea of using the lowered table for sanding with removable top for the outfeed table has got me thinking about how to make the top adjustable to match the Shopsmith table. If you had router tables, saws, etc that are about the same height, this may be a multi-tool item.

Any ideas?

I would look at the from the other side Shane. You probably don't change the height of your table very often, just find a height you like and build the outfeed table to that. If you need to lower the saw table for an occasional cut, just move the table or the SS temporarily.

Rick Potter

In my previous shop I had my out feed table set up likes Alan's and it worked very well. There was enough suction so that whatever stock I was sanding would be held tight against the table.
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

15. Just don't forget to turn it off when cutting sheet goods. I found out mine has excellent suction because once the sheet covered about 2/3's of the out feed table I couldn't push the sheet anymore to finish the cut. I thought it was caught on some thing till I remembered that I left the down draft table running. Doh!