Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes in the woods - should I be scared?

Coyotes in the woods - should I be scared?

I have live here for nearly 30 years. My property abuts and is 1/2 surrounded by a 130 acre nature preserve. I have spent hundreds of wonderful hours alone in these woods. Was hiking and meditating all over the acreage long before it became a marked trail nature preserve. I actually cut a good portion of the trails. Have shared the trails in the light of dawn and through all seasons and hours with deer, fox, rabbits, porcupines, the ghosts of bobcats and fisher and all kinds of birds and rodents of the big furry tail variety.

These days the deer appear to be gone as are the rabbits and the fox are very rare. What we do have back there are coyotes. At least one pack possibly two. They are loud and boisterous and come very very near to the house. We can hear them rustling the leaves and panting as they run by the window after calling back and forth to each other for a few blood curdling minutes. They were in my near neighbors yard in December howling up a storm. I called him and asked him to quiet down his guests and in a hush he said "I'm on the porch and all I can see is their eyes."

Sadly I'm finding myself reluctant to go out into those woods alone these days.

There is a coyote bounty in Maine - $ 10.00 - but that is not at all my style and besides which you can't hunt in the nature preserve. I am a bit embarrassed to ask but should I be packing my biggest knife and an LL Bean walking cudgel or should I just stay in side hiding under the bed. Am I being silly? Irrational? Wise?

What would you do?
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Annoying? Yes.

Dangerous? No.

Although I would probably keep and eye on my cat and/or small dog.

A pack tried to take my sister in-laws medium sized dog (sheltie) several years ago, luckily her other dog is a great Pyrenees which managed to fend off the coyote pack, but not before the smaller dog was seriously wounded. Coywolves and coyotes are becoming less scared of people and more aggressive. We've seen them in our neighborhood on occasion as well. A big walking stick seems like a good thing to have. Any neighbors with small children nearby?
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 01-28-2014 at 11:57 AM.

We get one or two from time to time. If the rabbit population is down, we know there is a Coyote. Lately, the rabbit population has been building.
    They are naturally afraid of humans. I wouldn't worry about them. When the small animal supply is gone, (small dogs included) they'll move on.
    Our Daughter lives in Littleton, Co. At night you can hear a couple packs howling. There has never been an incident involving humans.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Have seen and been in the vicinity of dozens of coyotes over the years. Not a threat.

As always, avoid attracting them to your property, such as leaving out food or easily accessible trash, pet food, etc. I actually enjoy seeing them in the wild.

Best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Val Kosmider View Post
    Annoying? Yes.

Dangerous? No.

Although I would probably keep and eye on my cat and/or small dog.
    Amen to the cat and dog problem. We have lots of coyotes in this area. They see small dogs and cats as an appetizer. And they can take down big dogs, much bigger than they are because domestic dogs are not really fighters. The coyotes will maul a big dog faster than you can imagine.

Small children can also be at risk if they're alone.

But they don't bother full sized people around here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I concur with the others. They pose little threat to an adult human, but a walking stick would probably make you less afraid. Other than wild animals such as rabbits, mice, and birds, coyotes will eat domestic or feral cats and small dogs. They will also kill foxes. Eliminate any potential food sources on your property and near your nature area that you can. I see tracks in the snow in the woods and fields behind our house all the time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Like others have said, they are nothing to worry about. We have lots of them here in Missouri. I see them all the time when I'm out hunting alone, especially when I'm moving into the woods before it's light out. I can see how they could intimidate you. As soon as they see you they run away (usually it's long before you see them).

They are not dummies either. If you have a large male dog, they will send a female in heat to attract him. It happened to an acquaintance. His German Shepherd followed a female, a second coyote joined up when they were a ways off, another joined the parade a bit later, they went over a hill, and the dog was never seen again.

I remember one time at my cabin on the high desert, I kept my Dalmatian in at night, and they would not stop howling and yipping. Finally, about 3AM, I got tired of not sleeping and emptied a clip from my 22 out the front door into the ground. Ahh, sleep.

Rick Potter

They are very opportunistic, will hunt practically anything easy. Enjoy the "music" they make, and pay attention. Packs of anything are more bold than singles. Here, we ignore them until they group up, then they decimate calves. Also carry rabies if it's in your area, so don't get bit.

Get one of these! They seem to be able to handle coyotes very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    They are very opportunistic, don't get bit.
    …and so I started this thread.

Don't know why I've gotten skittish maybe it's the extra cold in the air. You've all got me convinced that I'll be fine - especially if I send a little kid or a dog out ahead of me. Thanks for the reassurance.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Hi Sam, Toronto has a sizable coyote popoulation, they live very well with humans.

As others have said they are a danger to pets, however not people.

A few month ago I saw one waiting for the pedestrian/traffic lights with a rabbit in its mouth. It had just come out of the river valley.

Once the lights changed and the traffic started, the coyote crossed the 4 lane road and headed into an abandoned industrial property.

It obviously watched the Road Runner show and knew what happened to coyotes who didn't yield to trucks.

Regards, Rod.

I have coyotes in my area too. They keep the rodent population down, but they are generally only a threat to your pets. Humans are too much work and a danger. If there is no food source they should eventually move onto another section of the adjacent 130 acres.

Hey Rod,

Did it push the 'WALK' button?

RP