Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes in the woods - should I be scared?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Hey Rod,

Did it push the 'WALK' button?

RP
    Rick, that's the only thing it didn't do.

I was talking to one of the city wildlife guys and he mentioned that coyotes are smarter than dogs, and learn by watching people do things.

I guess it noticed that joggers on the path wait for the lights and the audio signal before crossing..............Rod

Just coyotes don't bother me at all. However I've seen more of the half coyote half (some large dog) critters around more lately and they're a wee bit more concerning.

A purebred (or close to it, not sure there is 100% such a thing anymore) yote is generally a fairly solitary critter, they'll have hunting buddies (pair hunting) but don't generally hunt in packs (past when the pups are no longer pups). The cross breeds tend to pack up more, are larger and seem to have less fear of people. Most of the reported attacks were most likely cross breeds. I've had what I'm quite sure were german shepard / coyote crosses stare me down at the mailbox at our last house. A shot with a slingshot sent them off, but they were a bit disconcerting and didn't seem to care how close you got.

Like most animal in this class (except polar bears, grizzlies and the occasional real hungry cougar ) walking tall and acting big goes a long way towards preventing them from getting any bright ideas about you being a possible dinner.

Are handguns not permitted for protection against wild animals in the US? I'm no supporter of shooting or killing anything that means me / mine no harm but it's one occasion where having a gun and not needing it is better than needing a gun and not having it.

If a firearm is a problem / legally not an option them dry powder fire extinguishers work very well at fending off all but the most persistent beasts.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Should you be scared? Only if you're a rabbit. They'll avoid you like a fox will. No worries.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    A pack tried to take my sister in-laws medium sized dog (sheltie) several years ago, luckily her other dog is a great Pyrenees which managed to fend off the coyote pack, but not before the smaller dog was seriously wounded. Coywolves and coyotes are becoming less scared of people and more aggressive. We've seen them in our neighborhood on occasion as well. A big walking stick seems like a good thing to have. Any neighbors with small children nearby?
    I think the solution for Sam is to get a Great Pyrenees. We lost ours to cancer a few years ago, lived to almost 13. She was always guarding our yard when outside. Even chased the Canada Geese as they flew over our property. Once they cleared that vertical imaginary boundary, she let up. That was the greatest dog we've ever had. Family oriented like a Golden Retriever, but is the ultimate protector of its flock. They will take on coyotes, wolves, bears -- they are fearless. And the other thing I'd do is pack heat ... Hunting may not be allowed, but self-preservation should be OK.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 01-28-2014 at 9:04 PM.

No dogs, no firearms but maybe I need to change the way I walk in the woods. I have learned to walk without announcing my presence which has lead to all kinds of wondrous sights. Maybe less stealth and more attitude is in order. Funny, I have seen all kinds of creatures up ahead in the woods - from deer and moose, to bears, a mountain lion, not a few coyotes (individuals) and all kinds of less threatening animals and birds. What has me a bit spooked I think is that I have been hearing the packs very near and very loud calling to each other from different corners of the property. Not theoretical anymore when they are that close. I really would not want to be suddenly among those critters by myself. I'm hearing you all say that that is very unlikely. No matter how stealthy I might be they are aware and will be inclined to keep their distance. Fine by me.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    Coyotes - no threat to you. Your cat or small dog (<50 lbs) are in peril especially at night. Cats with bells on collars typically don't last long. Coyotes have seen me walking alone and usually hightail it the other direction. They came into the yard one time until they saw my 105 lb black lab. They scooted off at high speed and never came back.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    I think the solution for Sam is to get a Great Pyrenees. We lost ours to cancer a few years ago, lived to almost 13. She was always guarding our yard when outside. Even chased the Canada Geese as they flew over our property. Once they cleared that vertical imaginary boundary, she let up. That was the greatest dog we've ever had. Family oriented like a Golden Retriever, but is the ultimate protector of its flock. They will take on coyotes, wolves, bears -- they are fearless. And the other thing I'd do is pack heat ... Hunting may not be allowed, but self-preservation should be OK.
    Your right about the Pyr My daughter had 2 one also died of cancer but the other is a great guard dog. We keep him and her new dog a Newfoundland every couple of months. Both are very loyal.

I'm going to go against the main theme of "don't worry", some what. We have coyotes all over the Denver Metro area. We also have a lot of open space (natural habitat) and praire dog towns (a food source).

From time to time the media reports coyotes being more aggressive and a threat to pets and children. A few months ago a pack vigorously attacked a man. In the news interview, he stated that he thought was fighting them off for about 5 minutes, not sure if he was going to win.
    http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/10/1...g-walk-to-work

The point is, it can and does happen although not typical. Food availability is a factor and hunger is a motivator for becoming more aggressive. A hunting pack increases the risk.

There probably is no reason for overly alarmed but on the other hand be alert and prepared. Use common sense and good judgement. A walking stick and a knife may be a good idea and can't hurt. Even a noise maker, a can of rocks, can be a deterrent. Be noisy and look big. A gun, well that's your choice. Mace or pepper spray could be just as effective.

I haven't paid attention, can you still get M80s or cherry bombs worthy of the name? A few of those and a reliable lighter? I believe you can get something like 'bear-rated' pepper spray. I'm not sure how effective that'd be.

We live in a park and all animals are protected in the park. Consequently, the coyote population exploded but the feral cat population decreased. The conservations agents indicate the coyotes pose no danger to adults but they are less afraid of humans and walk down the park streets in front of our homes. They come to our back door and look in, most likely for the three small dogs. I keep a hangun next to the back door. I would hate to do anything to harm one, but if it's between us or the dogs against feral coyotes .....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    No dogs, no firearms but maybe I need to change the way I walk in the woods. I have learned to walk without announcing my presence which has lead to all kinds of wondrous sights. Maybe less stealth and more attitude is in order. Funny, I have seen all kinds of creatures up ahead in the woods - from deer and moose, to bears, a mountain lion, not a few coyotes (individuals) and all kinds of less threatening animals and birds. What has me a bit spooked I think is that I have been hearing the packs very near and very loud calling to each other from different corners of the property. Not theoretical anymore when they are that close. I really would not want to be suddenly among those critters by myself. I'm hearing you all say that that is very unlikely. No matter how stealthy I might be they are aware and will be inclined to keep their distance. Fine by me.
    Coyotes love Tammy Wynette! One night we were calling in central Nevada and got nothing. Started packing things up and put a Tammy Wynette tape in and they started coming from everywhere! I don't hunt them anymore but I still love to hear them sing. And by the way, this time of year most of their singing is love songs. They'll be whelping when spring comes. So unless you're wearing a fur coat and ode de Coyote, they're not nearly as interesting in you as you are in them.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 01-29-2014 at 8:41 PM.

I'll spare the gore...but suffice to say,they're quite a nuisance here.They're really hurting the Bobcat and Fox numbers.....and they aren't helping the Bear population any either?The Deer and Turkey "seem" to be faring OK.Rarely go in the woods here without a firearm......so they aren't too much of a concern,personally.

I do have a campfire story of the one that got in our house.But it's a little out there,taste wise.

I am a bit embarrassed to ask but should I be packing my biggest knife and an LL Bean walking cudgel
    I would.

I'd also slip a little something with more giddy-up in my pocket or waistband.....

That's just me though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Coyotes may be generally fearful of humans, but I'm not one to tempt fate when it comes to animals that have sharp claws and teeth, are close to my size (either by itself or en toto), and eat meat.

As our friend from across the pond said earlier in the thread, "Better to have a gun and not need it, then to need it and not have it."
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore