Thread: Opinions on Hurricane Chucks

Opinions on Hurricane Chucks

There was a fair amount of discussion of the Hurricane chucks a few months ago but I haven't seen any mention recently. At the time, the reviews were generally very favorable.
    I need to buy a chuck so I am wondering if new owners or early adopters of the Hurricane chuck are feeling positive about that piece of equipment.

2. I have both the 4" HTC 100 and the 5" HTC 125. I really like them! I have been using the SuperNova and supernova2 chucks and these in my opinion are every bit as good.....perhaps better. I am well pleased and there is probably not a better value on the market for a quality chuck than these.....
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Rodger what's the largest piece you have had on the HTC125 ?
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

I know I boast about these chucks all the time, and I'm not a paid advertiser or anything, but to answer your question, I still love them. I've got, what 7, now? I've got the 100 with spigot jaws, two 100s with standard jaws, one 100 with large jaws, one 125 with standard jaws, one 125 with large jaws, and one 125 with the super massive jaws. Love them all.

The 125 is for large turnings, no doubt. The large jaws are plenty for just about anything you'll throw at them. But I still got the extra large jaws for my biggest turnings. Honestly, I think the standard jaws on the 125 are a bit...silly. Just because it is, in a way, overkill. But I understand why they are available for two reasons: One, they fill the gap between the 100's standard and large jaws (that is why I have them); and two, if you are going to have only one hurricane chuck, you can do smaller turnings with the standard jaws. Personally, I'd like to see a "medium" set of jaws for the 100. But the HTC isn't the only manufacturer that has a gap in its jaws...so does the Stronghold.

Brian, I've turned two 27 1/2" bowls: One with the 125 with large jaws and one with the 125 with super large jaws. Both did the job perfectly.

BTW, I've got all dovetail jaws (except for the spigot/pin jaws).
    I drink, therefore I am.

I've got one of each with large jaws on both... I love them, and I've found mine to be very comparable to my Vicmarc chuck in quality. I've cored quite a few bowl using both if them... The largest was just under 20" diameter and 8 or 9" deep, and they've done everything I've tried with them. The tolerance on the jaw slides is quite good which elevates it above the 'discount' chucks I've used in the past. I think of it as a high end chuck at a low end price point.

6. And there you have it...........two good testimonials besides mine..........Mike and David have given you everything you need to know!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have the 100 and 125 both, with the full suite of jaws for the 100 and the large jaws for the 125. Love them as well. Great value, happy customer.

Thanks everyone.
    Glad to hear everyone is so happy.
    Makes it an easy decision for me.

I've looked at the Hurricane site several times recently and only see jaws for the HTC100 available. Is the 100 not produced any more?

Greg

I would doubt that it was stopped. I'd contact (email or call) them.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    I've looked at the Hurricane site several times recently and only see jaws for the HTC100 available. Is the 100 not produced any more?

Greg
    Check here: http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/p...Insert-62.html

I have the 100 and am very happy with it. As a note, the 100 with standard jaws is heavier than a SN2 with powergrips. I believe the 125 comes in at 9+ pounds so it may not be suitable for smaller lathes.
    Bill's link does show the 100 chuck but if you add to your cart it states unavailable. Per another forum they had higher than expected demand and should have the 100's back in stock by the end of Feb.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe