Thread: Rikon 10-325 price

Rikon 10-325 price

Is 700.00 a fair price for a used Rikon 10-325 with mobile base and minimal use.

Thanks
    Tom

It's been a few hours. I'm need to let a guy know if I'm going to drive long distance to get this saw. I have a Rigid 14" and it's sub par even for me. As a novice hobbyist, it vibrates and wont resaw very well. (however I only do it occasionally). I know this is a much better saw, but is it a good deal at 700.00? I know they occasionally go on sale for 799.00. (or they had in years past) I usually figure a good deal to be more around 50% of new, but this is a nice saw with only light use.

I just don't want to drive the 2 hours unless I'm sure.

Thanks!!

tom

I'd say no unless you could get him down to 500.00 700's too close to retail.

Tom, I paid $700 for mine (brand new) less than a year ago and put a JET mobile base on it for another $100. So I wouldnt call this a "deal". Depending on whats available in your area, its not an unfair price if the tool is little used. Its just on the high side IMO.

But if you buy one, youll certainly enjoy using it. I do.

Fred

Thank you!! I agree. The deal has changed slightly. If I buy his craftsman 15" drill press also in similar condition, it's 850. If the Rikon reltails at 800 and the DP at 300, I still think it's too high.

I would think the BS should be 500 and the DP 150 for 650.00 total. 200 less than this deal. So thanks for the headsup!! I will pass because I'm not going to low ball him.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Hildebrand; 01-28-2014 at 9:21 PM.

Tom--here's my thoughts if i was looking at this for me (i have the same Ridgid BS--would love a 10-325!!)...

Highland Woodworking is at $799 now, but no idea what shipping would run you--that would take a phone call. Amazon is at $1030 +/- shipped (at least on Prime).

Breaking down the total cost for the used one--Looking at a 2 hour drive means a 200 to 250 mile round trip, assuming a vehicle at 15 mpg it's $75 for fuel plus a meal and a coffee or 2. Little extra if you recruit some "muscle" to make the trip with you. So, the trip to pick up is $100 to $150 (If you have a trailer or truck so you don't have to rent--add that to the cost if needed), brings the delivered cost to $800-$850. Can you get a 5 hour window with clear, dry weather to make the pick up--at a time that fits you and the seller? Is anything included that wouldn't come with buying a new saw--like blades and such?

As for the time to do the pick-up, 5 hour drive to get an assembled saw with the shipping preservative already remove is probably about equal to uncrating and doing the initial set up on a brand new one--so i'd call that even. Well--i'd give an edge to the new saw since i wouldn't have to leave home. My coffee is better than rest area coffee every day!!

If it's a lightly used stock saw with no extras included, and the total is in the $850 range versus somebody bringing a brand new one to my house (and the shipping contractor having some responsibility all the way to my driveway) for $180 more--i'd probably buy new. If i'm getting a few add-ons (like a carbide tipped blade, etc), and i could bring that cost down enough to cover my travel cost--i'd think hard about the used one.

Finally, I'd view the 10-325 as having a 10-15 year life in my shop--which means a new one costs me $12-$15/year more than used as i'd see it for me. Your values may be different!!

earl

Tom, do you know about some of the fixes for the Ridgid 14" saw? People balance the wheels, reinforce the stand, maybe replace belts & pulleys. Some work and modest $ might make your Ridgid better. Then when the Rikon goes on sale, or a Griz 17" catches your eye you can have one machine for resaw/rip/straight cuts & one for curves, no blade changes required. Just trying to help.

Thank you! Great point!

I spoke with him this morning. Here is his bottom line. 700.00 for Rikon, Craftsman 15" drill, forstener bit set and large stnd drill bit set, 4 or 5 blades, roller stand for saw.

I offered 625 which is 75 over 50% for the two. Ughh.. I'm still to call him back with a decision.....

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Hildebrand; 01-29-2014 at 9:24 AM.