Thread: Drawer Help

Drawer Help

The wife wants me to make her an apothecary chest like she saw at a local unfinished furniture store. My question is how to make the drawer fronts. The chest appears to have nine drawers however there is really only three. Each drawer front appears to be three small drawers. How would you make these drawer fronts?

Picture below

Each small drawer front has either a round over or a bevel edge, I believe she would be happy with either. I would like to make each drawer front one piece not three separate pieces attached to one backer front, that is the only way I have come up with so far.

Thanks for your suggestions.

George

They make router bits that work to make the cut across the drawer front. It just doesn't have the rubbing portion of the bit. I have ground the rubbing part off in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    They make router bits that work to make the cut across the drawer front. It just doesn't have the rubbing portion of the bit. I have ground the rubbing part off in a pinch.
    Are you saying like a chamfer bit without a bearing?

George

George,

Here's one example : http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...oove.html#flat bottom round over bits anchor. Scroll down to the round over bit. Check this site out as they have a lot of bits. I have ordered quite a few from them. I especially like their Katana series.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I can't tell the exact profile you have, but I've done similar with an ovolo (sp?) bit. Once I made the template it went fast.
    Last edited by Joe Scharle; 01-29-2014 at 1:51 PM.

Looks like Joe's suggestion of the ovolo bit is the perfect bit to do the drawers. Just bury half the bit inside the fence for the outer edges.

Thanks everyone.

George

The other option, of course, is to build the drawer fronts from components. I've done that making extra deep drawers with two drawer fronts top and bottom and I don't see any reason why it couldn't work side-by-side, depending on the drawer construction design. In either case, components or one piece, there will be a visible seam at the top and bottom of the dividers but the dividers and drawer fronts, if made from separate parts, may add a little to the realistic visual appeal.