Thread: Dovetail Jig

Dovetail Jig

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with a Porter Cable #4112 Dovetail jig? My brother-in-law has one he swears by. He said there is no guess work with it. He said after he got that one he sold as he said his big Leigh on ebay. He said it was just to time consuming to work with compared to the Porter. The Porter sells for about $150. I have a chance to buy one from a gentleman who bought one and had a heart attack. He said he never opened the box and wants $115 for it. At this time I can't afford those $200 to $400 jigs. Any info or different idea's would be appreciated.

Bernie

I've been using one forever. Once you get it set up, it works just fine...but it can be a challenge to get all the 'odd' measurements accurate on both sides of the jig. Once that's accomplished, the critical factor is the depth of cut. Even just the teensiest bit off can cause great frustration. I bought a dedicated router and never touch it unless (until) I need to change the bit.

KC

Just a quick note: The PC jig seems to have a good reputation with those who use it.
    Don't hold the bit height sensitivity against it as this is common to all jigs that cut half-blind dovetails. Half-blind joint fit is always a function of the router, specifically bit height/depth, not the jig. That's why you see so many with a dedicated router for half-blind dovetails.
    Sounds like a bargain to me!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

The 4212 dovetail jig is the new jig PC came out with earlier this year. I believe your refering to the older model. The new one has features built into it to set the bit depth consistantly time and again. It also includes a templete for doing though dovetails and sliding dovetails.
    I bought the jig several months ago, and it works great, I don't have a "dedicated router" for it, I just put in the bit, set the depth using the built-in gauge, run a test piece just to be safe and then cut my work piece. IMHO, it is well worth the $150. You can also download a suppliment manual for the jig that shows you how to do many advanced joints, variable spaced joints, how to use different sized bits, etc.... if you get the jig, diffiently download the supplimental manual, it has some great info.

John
    Last edited by John Lubeski; 06-15-2005 at 8:57 AM.

Bernie....I have that PC. Works well. One piece of advice......be sure when you put the bit in the router and put the guide sleeve/bushing in the base.....loosen the base.....bring the chuck down until it contacts the guide bushing/sleeve and centers the bushing and base to the bit chuck and then tighten the base. If not....you'll have varying size dovetails......I know because I learned this one the hard way.....took some time and practice dovetails to "discover" the cause......it was so stated in the manual by the way....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It is my understanding that Hartvilletools makes the PC jig. I have a PC 4112 and it works well. The Hartville 12" jig is on sale.
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...81b795ba1f016c

Their 18" jog is also on sale.
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11195

I actually have 3 dovetail jigs, a Craftsman (very similar to the PC), an Incra Ultra, and a Leigh D4. They all work but, the easiest to use by a mile is the Incra. All will take a little practice to learn and all can produce quality results. I tend to use the Incra most because of its relative simplicity and exceptional control and results. The PC style jigs are fine if you are always going to use the same thickness of stock. If your stock varies, then you will spend lots of time tinkering to get the right fit.

I had the 4112 for many years with toal happy results, once set up it is very easy to use. I got rid of it cause I bought a Jet... I liked the clamping better on the Jet. In hind site, wish I still ahd the 4112. I also have the Incra and the Leigh. I find each has it's place where it excells, and for the PC it is 1/2 blinds. As mentioned, you might look at the newer PC with more features.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I want thank each of you for your help. The info is great. I got to see the PC 4210 and 4212 this week on a 3 days business. I really like the PC 4212. I see I can get it with all the templates for $139. Has a measuring device if I remember right for bit depth and has guide lines to line up the wood. I even set it up and cut some really nice dovetails in scrap. This is the first time cutting them. It was great. Thanks again. If I get one I will post pictures of it and dovetails made.

Bernie

The 4212 really is a nice set-up. I just pulled mine out from under the bench yesterday, chucked up the router bit in my router, set the depth using the gauge on the side of the jig and made some beautiful half blinds dovetails for a drawer front without even doing a practice run. Then I switched templetes reset the depth of the bit, again using the built in gauge and made some nice tight fitting though dovetails to join the sides of the drawer to the back, again without doing a practice run.

If you do get the 4212, here is the suppliment manual with the advanced joints.http://media.ptg-online.com/20050223...7-02-23-05.pdf

John

Have you ever considered making your own??? I just got a thing in the mail....reward for a mag subscription......that has plans for about 50 or so different shop jigs. One of them was a jig to cut dovetails!!! Probably about 20 bucks worth of wood in the project.....just my guess. If I remember correctly, You would need a table saw and a band saw or jig saw to make the jig. There would be some of your time in building the thing; but I imagine it would be fun to build and you would save a bunch of bucks over buying a commercial rig!!!

Thanks again guys for all the info. I will probably end up with the PC. It looks slick and fairly easy to use. Thanks again.

Bernie