Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holiday to Boston and surrounding area

I don't think it was mentioned but I would recommend walking the Freedom Trail which takes you to many of the important historical sites in Boston. Not easy to do on a very hot day but still doable. I would also recommend going to Lexington and Concord which was the first real battle of the Revolutionary War. I had read the book "John Adams" before I went to Boston and enjoyed seeing his houses which are still standing. His last house is quite something to see and has actual furniture from John Adams. Take in a ball game at Fenway Park too if time allows. Have a few Sam Adams beers along with a lobstah. A great place to visit but not a fun place to drive in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Thank you James for your post. Unfortunately we arrive in Boston on the Saturday and wanted to stay in Salam Saturday night then travel North on the Sunday

regars Brian
    Only other thoughts in downtown Salem is the Waterfront Hotel, their minimum is for Friday nights, or the Salem Inn. Most other accommodations are B&Bs with 2 night minimums. Outside of Salem you are likely to find larger chain hotels in the Peabody, Danvers area.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

No One has suggested going to Fenway Park? I would put that on the list. Another thing i would suggest is finding an nice outdoor concert venue. Bethel Woods in New York state if spectacular if there happens to be someone playing there that appeals to the entire family.

Blog Entries
    Check out the Old Schwamb Mill where they use specialized lathes to turn oval picture frames. Those things will bend your mind.

Or maybe Saugus Iron Works

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    Boston is great, but London is better.

At any rate, make sure your daughter knows that she's too young to drink here.

Boston is a very walk-able city, but July in Boston could be very hot and humid. Weather permitting, the historical offerings are exceptional. If it's too hot, there are tons of museums. A day at Fenway Park watching the Red Sox play could be fun. I agree that the ethnic food is terrific, but only in ethnic neighborhoods.

Besides the museums, your kids might enjoy a trip to Salem, renting canoes or kayaks on the Charles River, or renting a sailboat on Boston Harbor. But, ultimately, Boston/Cambridge is the ultimate college town and the city is set up to entertain kids of that age, so they should not be bored. A visit to Harvard and MIT might be a cool experience.

Depending on how far you plan to travel, the Maine coast (northeast), and Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket (southeast) are worth the effort. The mountains of Western Maine (northeast), New Hampshire (north), and Vermont (northwest) are incredible even in the summer.

I'm sure you'll have fun.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The Omni Mt. Washington Bretton Woods hotel is lovely, but it's the only attraction there.
    Plenty to do, through the concierge, but everything has a price.

Unless you REALLY like to drive - some do - it's a slog on major highways entirely.

I recommend taking a one-stop approach.
    Pick the nicest hotel you can afford.

Unpack once, and ask where the staff would go.

American history might not be the stuff of wonder for a couple European teenagers.

How about a baseball game? Something you can't get at home, that isn't "canned" for consumption....
    that's what I would suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rufener View Post
    I don't think it was mentioned but I would recommend walking the Freedom Trail which takes you to many of the important historical sites in Boston. Not easy to do on a very hot day but still doable. I would also recommend going to Lexington and Concord which was the first real battle of the Revolutionary War. I had read the book "John Adams" before I went to Boston and enjoyed seeing his houses which are still standing. His last house is quite something to see and has actual furniture from John Adams. Take in a ball game at Fenway Park too if time allows. Have a few Sam Adams beers along with a lobstah. A great place to visit but not a fun place to drive in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    No One has suggested going to Fenway Park? I would put that on the list. Another thing i would suggest is finding an nice outdoor concert venue. Bethel Woods in New York state if spectacular if there happens to be someone playing there that appeals to the entire family.
    Tim, you must be reading on the I-Pad again!