Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Tension

Bandsaw Blade Tension

I can recall reading a post where there was a very in depth and quite technical report on BS tension done using different methods including blade stretch. Can anyone point me in the right direction to read it. Thanks.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

There have been a few, one is here:

http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/tension.html

I have tried this and had trouble with getting repeating results. That is, a blade tensioned in this manner 2-3 times in a row doesn't seem to require the same # of turns of my tension knob, and when the blade is plucked, produced a different frequency each time.

But give it a shot, many people have had tremendous success with it.

Thanks Phil, interesting in that it measures blade stretch but not the one I am thinking of. I am sure Mark Dujinski was involved and he recruited someone else to do some testing. I find it interesting when I search for "Dujinski" I get zero hits as I have seen his name mentioned here previously though not often. IIRC he had problems here but I find it strange that his name gets no result.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I think there is a Z and not a J in his name. I was perusing the old posts and found a very active thread about an article he wrote for a magazine about band saw tensioning.
    Dennis

the correct spelling is Duginske.

That's a cool article Phil! Chris, I know this wasn't really your question exactly but with my 14" cheap bandsaw I just use the 'flutter' method to tension the blade. Are you trying to tension a large or small saw?

My "method" has been to find the least amount of tension needed to get the cut I want, regardless of blade.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Erik,
    Does the 'flutter' method work for large saws/blades? I have this mental image of a 1" blade fluttering and it's a little scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Thanks Phil, interesting in that it measures blade stretch but not the one I am thinking of. I am sure Mark Dujinski was involved and he recruited someone else to do some testing. I find it interesting when I search for "Dujinski" I get zero hits as I have seen his name mentioned here previously though not often. IIRC he had problems here but I find it strange that his name gets no result.
    Oh, I think this is the thread to white you're referring:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ison&highlight=

A good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Erik,
    Does the 'flutter' method work for large saws/blades? I have this mental image of a 1" blade fluttering and it's a little scary.
    nope no issue. I use the flutter method on all blades. My Griz 17" HD has a 1" Laguna carbide blade on it. Used that method to put it on and no issues. It's not slapping back and forth, but you can notice (see) the vibration in the blade. When you hit the sweet spot, it's dead still when running. I've never taken more than a minute to put a blade on. I'm with Erik. Least amount of tension to do the job.

Ditto. The flutter method always works well for me, and gets the blade to a point where there are no resonances going on. It's all I ever use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Erik,
    Sure, any blade. Personally, I don't use a hand-held tension gauge. Just play around with the blade, do some test cuts, and see what it wants to do. It will require a lot less tension to rip some 6/4 stock than it would to cut a 12" tall veneer with the same blade, so just find what works. In other words, you probably don't need to be tensioning a carbide blade to 30K psi every time.

Just my 2-cents as always,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I believe his name is spelled: DUGINSKE

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Oh, I think this is the thread to white you're referring:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ison&highlight=

A good read.
    He said he was going to do a test, but I couldn't find the results in a thread.
    Dennis

I don't know if this works, but I really do not feel the tension by stretch is repeatable at all. I mean, I clamped a dial caliper across 2 points 5 inches apart, and measured the stretch. On the 1/4" carbon steel blade I'm getting well over .01" of stretch, meaning it should be 30,000 psi (and carbon blades aren't supposed to be tensioned that hard), while on the Woodmaster CT it is as tight as I can possibly make it (you couldn't deflect it at all, even with the guide 12" from the table) the stretch is still under .001". It has proven too unreliable for it to work. A possible reason might be different grades of steel used in various bands, having different young's modulus.

Maybe a more accurate way is putting a load cell or force gauge on the square nut that bears the force of blade tension, to directly measure the amount of pounds that is pressing against it. Perhaps that would be more repeatable and instead of saying xxx psi, just say how many pounds of force is required to bring the tension of say Woodmaster CT to its recommended tension.