Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering Pen turning

I would not get rid of the mortiser. I am going to be using mine on a couple pen designs coming up soon. I am into segmenting and creating my own blanks. It is another phase of penturning that can open many avenues. This is one of those hobbies that the sky is the limit for creation. Many people get stuck in a rut by making and using blanks that are sold commercially. But there is a whole field of imagination. You got good advice and there is not much I can add. Yes the IAP penturning site is a beginners site for sure. If you go there use the search feature and do some reading on your own. As you get familar with the jargon and the kits and tools then your questions can have more value to you. Good luck and welcome to the world of pen turning. Will be looking for your work.
    John T.

John,
    Thanks, that was sage advice, although I have listed my mortiser in the classifieds just in case anyone is interested. I'll give an additional 5% discount for Penturners or any SMC member for that matter. LOL Thanks to all the great advice about Penturning.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Like others have said, IAP is a great site. Also, Penn State offers a free DVD on pen turning.

Steve