Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Bowl Gouge?

Question Your favorite Bowl Gouge?

After 2 years I have used up my 1st Thompson Bowl Gouge (1/2" V-bowl gouge). It has lasted through hundreds of touch-up sharpenings.

What is your favorite size (outside diameter) bowl gouge? I may get the same size or try a 5/8" or 3/8".

I know the real answer - Buy them all ! But for today… one.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I find that I tend to use my 5/8 V on the outside of bowls, and mostly my 1/2 V on the inside, since it seems to give me more control. If I had to pick just one Thompson, I think I'd take the 1/2 V.
    Regards,
    Dick

I just looked through some old threads and was surprised to find how may turners like a 3/8" bowl gouge. I could afford a 3/8" and a 1/2" V Bowl gouge from Thompson. That might be a way to go, using what has worked already with a new size for more learning.

Well,I do have a preference for the bigger and heavier tools. I like the Thompson steel, and do switch back and forth from the V to the U flute designs. I do some times switch to a smaller one on the insides, and they do seem to work a little better, but can't tell for sure. Some times it seems like it is the particular day rather than the tool. I do seem to prefer a more open flute design. The Glaser V gouge is way too closed for me. I do hold my gouges more level, and roll them on their sides for a higher shear angle.

And then there are the bottom feeder gouges......

robo hippy

Brian I have 1/2 and 5/8 inch bowl gouges that I use a lot. I like the 5/8" for the inside as it will work farther off the toolrest. Most of the time I use 1/2" on outside as I can move the toolrest pretty close to the wood. But I switch around sometime, depends if one is sharper than the other and if I happen to have it in my hand already. On smaller bowls I use 1/2" pretty much all the time. Hey I didn't help a bit.
    Fred

personally i like the Thompson shallow detail gouge the best, when i use it i am making the forms instead of just removing wood

I use the Thompson V in 1/2" for most of my work. I do have a3/4 Thompson bowl gouge for roughing the outside. He makes some great tools!

I have from 1" down to 3/8" bowl gouges. 3/8" give a great finish cut or works fine on smaller or shallow bowls. 1/2" is a little wider in the nose and not as nice of a finish cut, and possibly more tear out. 5/8" is long and strong gouge. Great for roughing, good for deeper bowls the nose is increasing in width. From there up they are heavy use to remove as much wood as possible. It comes down to finding ways to use what you like to get the job down. Stuart Batty Uses a bowl gouge to turn furniture spindles. The 1/2" gouge may be a jack of all trade and master of none?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I like the 5/8 Ellsworth the best, with a Thompson5/8 U a close second. The most useless bowl gouge I have is a Thompson 1/2 V gouge

I use my 5/8 gouge the most followed by the 1/2
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Brian, I would ask myself is there something I have wanted to do that I haven't been able to do with the 1/2 I had, if the answar was no I would get another 1/2, if the answer was yes I would try something new. I only have 1 bowl gouge and I don't even know what size it is. If I ever feel like I have conquered this one mabe I will need another one.

I use a 5/8 inch outside (1/2 inch flute) for roughing all but the very large bowls where I use a 3/4 inch (5/8 inch flute). I use the 5/8 inch gouge for the initial cuts of the second turning but from that point on I use the 1/2 inch outside (3/8 inch flute) for almost all of the finishing cuts. I have to admit that I am now hooked on a 60 degree standard grind for 'bowl bottoms'. If forced to pick only one gouge I guess it would be the 5/8 inch (1/2 inch flute).

I think of Thompson's V flute as one way to get a finer nose profile on a beefier tool, more important in finishing. You can compare the U and V flutes on the Thompson tools site, the 1/2 flute V gouge has a similar profile to the 3/8 flute U gouge.

We've invited Jim Sannerud (http://www.jsannerud.com/) down for a full-day event at our club and we'll be turning the bowls from start to finish with a 1/2 inch flute gouge so that is a 'second' to this "if I had to use one and only one gouge" pick.

Tom, I have been able to do almost everything with one. I would ideally get another with a different grind. But since I have never tried another gouge, it is just curiosity that makes me ask.

Brian,
    You will only know by using another tool. Maybe you can find someone who uses other shapes that will let you try them. I have a 3/8" bowl gouge and use it mostly to remove tenons. It is too small for me to use inside a bowl because it doesn't like being hung over the tool rest very far. You don't make giant bowls as far as I see from your posts. 1/2" is a good size for up to 12" bowls. If you want to experiment with grinds, don't spend a lot of money. You will be hesitant to grind away precious metal. Buy a cheap 1/2" tool and grind away. When you know what grinds work for you, buy better steel. Even inexpensive HHS steel will be a good tool.
    faust

Faust, you are right. I have a Midi lathe so I never can go over 12". I would not even know where to get a cheaper gouge, since the Thompson tools are a pretty good buy, even with great steel.