My list of planes include
    Stanley 3
    Stanley 5
    Veritas Low Angle Smoother
    Veritas Low Jointer
    Lie Nielsen Standard Angle Block
    Lie Nielsen Rabbett Block
    Veritas Low Angle Block

Have thought about buying either Veritas or Lie Nielsen Low Angle Jack but wondering why so many folks are selling them on ebay?

Anybody with some inside info?

thx
    Vaya con Dios

"Everyone"?? I can find three listed right now. Can you find more? What do you think you are seeing?

I saw only two LN LA Jacks and no LV for sale just now on EBay.

I don't know why, they are some of the most perfect tools out there. Particularly since one has the ability to swap blades out to change the cutting angle, or even to use a toothed blade (Prashun Patel can attest to the usefulness of such). I'll tell you this: don't but one on EBay if it exceeds the original purchase price. That's just plain crazy.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    That's just plain crazy.
    That's international buyers usually doing that. Sometimes it's international buyers with straw purchasers in the US.

The importers in other countries often have much higher prices on LN than we have here, sometimes due to the VAT in other countries, and sometimes it's just higher in general.

Let's say you're looking to get a LN tool in the UK and the vat is something like 15-20%, and the price before the VAT is already 15% higher. They can get on ebay and get a LN plane that is gently used, pay no VAT on it because of that and end up ahead.

That doesn't help you as a US buyer, but it does tell you that if you ever want to sell your LN planes, opening them to international shipping is a good idea if you want to maximize what you get. You may get an international buyer even without doing that (if they have someone willing to accept delivery of their ebay items and then send them international).

David, good point. International shipping does offer a much wider market.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    I have noticed more than usual popping up each week. I also have seen a number of other LN items. It may simply be that folks got other toys for Christmas.

I have and LOVE the Veritas low angle jack, jointer, and smoother. Both companies offer excellent tools. I like the fence (optional) on the Veritas jointer.

As as for the comments on international shipping, I cannot count the times I would have gladly bid an item up except the seller said "Lower 48 only." It's a stupid term. Hawaii is lower than the others, as well as the USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa- all lower, all US.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I cannot count the times I would have gladly bid an item up except the seller said "Lower 48 only." It's a stupid term. Hawaii is lower than the others, as well as the USVI, Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa- all lower, all US.
    Would you prefer "contiguous US states only"? (I only sell to the contiguous states when I post here in the classifieds because I always include shipping in my price. It's easier for me and the buyer knows upfront what the price is.)

Well, maybe everyone was the wrong word. I have been watching over last few months and a lot of those seem to move through eBay versus other planes. I am just wondering if people don't like the low angle as a jack plane. I know there are some merits with different blade options/angles, but the same holds true for standard bench planes with the different frogs you can use. It's not a knock on lie Nielsen or anything. Just a curiosity. Sorry if I used the wrong word.
    Vaya con Dios

No worries. I just wondered what you meant. Many folks love LA planes. I have a 62 and am glad to have it, and use it often, but for most planing I use my standard bevel down bench planes. They are easier to adjust on the fly and to camber.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Would you prefer "contiguous US states only"? (I only sell to the contiguous states when I post here in the classifieds because I always include shipping in my price. It's easier for me and the buyer knows upfront what the price is.)
    That's better than "continental US". Alaska is on the same continent. :-)

Back on topic, I have become a huge fan of low angle planes. My recommendation is that you buy all the same brand so you can swap blades between them. I did so, and now have plenty of bevel up blades that all fit my jointer, smoother, and jack. I have more than one of each bevel angle so I can swap blades rather than sharpen when doing a large project.

The toothed blade is a great thing if you do a lot of figured wood.

No need for different frogs; just different blades. Blade changes are also less fussy.

I've noticed that many of the LN planes that are for sale appear to be new merchandise. Not sure what that is all about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bohn View Post
    I've noticed that many of the LN planes that are for sale appear to be new merchandise. Not sure what that is all about.
    Some people collect things and one of the things some people collect is hand planes.

I tend to save the boxes from new planes. Maybe one day my heirs will be happy I did.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm not selling mine. I love mine. It's a tremendous multi purpose plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    I'm not selling mine. I love mine. It's a tremendous multi purpose plane.
    Mine isn't as multi purpose, but I love it just the same.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)