Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Large Hardwood purchase...feels great

Nice score, can't beat the price. Round here jatoba is a bit over $6/bf presently, so you paying under $1 is pretty sweet. Course you won't be able to make bed rails with shorts....but there are a lot of things that don't require any parts over 4', and you could mail order a little long stock as a supplement. Enjoy that!

I got about 50 board foot of maple for around 250 dollars... I thought that was cheap too.

Very nice buy. I bought a load of maple the same size and you can do a lot with it. Easy to join and plane. Well here in Haubstadt (Evansville area) I was having the same problem finding rough lumber and exotic lumber. I have not found a lot of woodworking in this area. I actually made a trip back to Northwest lumber in Indy last month to get some mahogany. I finally stumbled upon a web site where this guy has all kinds of rough lumber including exotic. Needless to say it is nice to have a source. I will be going there this week to get some 8/4 mahogany. Not gloat prices, but a good value.

If anything it is harder to get general lumber than exotics. I just found an exotic wood dealer in Taiwan who sells a lot of various wood from Asia and Africa and they have large quantities of african blackwood at seemingly good prices (possibly poached stock from China though, so I don't know about it). I'm making guitar necks out of these maple however... I originally bought them with the intention to make furniture out of it but 50 board foot of maple makes like a million guitar necks.