Thread: Any help identifying these burls?

Any help identifying these burls?

Hello all,
    I have these two burls that I just lucked into. Trying to figure out what they are. The one with the spiky bark is quite heavy, I'd say around 50 lbs. The other is larger and lighter, around 20-30 lbs. I think the spiky one is Amboyna, but I'm not sure. I am including photos of the face rough chainsaw cut, the bark side, and an area of the face that I sanded down with 100 grit and wet to see the grain.

Thanks for any ideas!

-Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like Maple from the pictures. The 2nd one I'm not really sure from the pics.

I agree with Dale. Both seems to be Maple burl. The second one is harder to tell, but has the same burled eyes as the first one.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Thanks guys, but I don't think they're both maple- the density difference is quite big, and the character of the bark is night and day. I'll try to get better photos of the face tomorrow when I'm back at the shop.

-Michael

Ok, I take that back. I've found photos of the bark profile of maple burls, and these look similar to multiple specimens. What is throwing me is the great density difference. Could thes be different species of maple, or is it possible to have such a disparagement in density in the same species? The one with the regular looking bark is quite a bit softer than the spiky one.

-Michael

first one definitely isn't amboyna burl; wrong color. Could be an australian eucalyptus burl.

Michael,
    There could be a difference in density due to dryness of the wood. Do you have a moisture meter? And yes, they could be two different species of Maple as there are at least 12-13 native species and over 125 species world wide.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

First is a Brown Mallee

that last picture looks like the burl might have some ambrosia beetle infestation.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

There is a lot of burls out there--might check Hobbitt House woods. It is a priceless reference.

First one definately looks like a Brown Mallee or at the least an Australian Burl. The second is hard ot tell. Would be really nice if it was a black ash burl. But leaning toward Maple.