Thread: Is this burl worthy of some effort

Is this burl worthy of some effort

Hi Turners -

In question is this spruce burl. Approx. 15" wide and tall x 10" deep. If it is not turning worthy should I at least peel it and carve it out? How does one go about drying off such a thing. Should I cut it off before spring? The tree will be coming down in my next batch of clearing work so this one is either headed to a work bench or to the brush fire. Seems a shame to destroy it but will I do that anyway just trying to save it? Any comments appreciated.

Burl 1.jpg Burl 2.jpg Burl 3.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sam, Indeed , any burl is worth saving . Leave it on the trunk and seal up the ends and revisit later. As this is winter the moisture content will be down somewhat and green turning is your best bet. It still is going to have some unique grain patterns that will look good in a hollow form or Calabash type bowl . What ever you do , show us the fotos when you are done. About 20 yrs ago I got a 40 lb red fir burl and I was not turning at the time and I traded it to a turner for a small bowl ( 8" x 6" ) out of it. He got a 23 inch dia bowl ( larger one of two ) and sold it for 500$ . Mine, I use for my peanuts while watching TV ....
    John 3:16

I should add that I AM NOT A TURNER. Though I did some pretty cool one piece rattles and some vases 20 years ago when I had access to a lathe I am not doing that now. I've always wanted a treadle lathe thinking that I could just sit quietly in my living room making very neat objets, but my wife isn't too fond of the idea for some reason .

For now - I don't turn but I would consider carving it out or passing it on to someone who might be interested in such a misshapen spruce burl - and so the reason for my post.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I should add that I AM NOT A TURNER. Though I did some pretty cool one piece rattles and some vases 20 years ago when I had access to a lathe I am not doing that now. I've always wanted a treadle lathe thinking that I could just sit quietly in my living room making very neat objets, but my wife isn't too fond of the idea for some reason .

For now - I don't turn but I would consider carving it out or passing it on to someone who might be interested in such a misshapen spruce burl - and so the reason for my post.
    Give us a holler before it goes in the slash pile . Someone will want it. if for sale , I'd take it but I spent my allowance in HI.....
    John 3:16

Hi Sam. Here are some some threads and picures from a few years ago related to a spruce burl along the coast of Maine. I was into sharing my adventures at the time.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...loat&highlight=
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-II&highlight=
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-III&highlight=
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tter&highlight=
    I have turned a couple of others as well and they have all been somewhat onion like. Not as flashy as other types of burls but if you want a souvenir/adventure from your property, you might give the carving a try. Not sure how pitchy this one might be. All the ones I have done weren't bad but they did come from dead trees. I am sure someone out there would be willing to give it a try but shipping is the killer if you are not local.
    The Maine Woodturners meet at Erskine Academy in China the third Wed of each month I believe so you might contact them to see if someone local is interested.
    http://mainewoodturners.org/calendar

Wow Baxter that was quite a tutorial - humbling and impressive with a great piece of work as the outcome. My little burl is less dramatic in every way - from its size to its home tree. Makes quite a statement up the hill in my little woodland park nonetheless.

The tree is at the end of its life cycle as are sooooo many of the conifers in the wood of this peninsula. Still has some green up high but not much. I might just leave the burl on the live tree and do a carving on the face to entertain the local wildlife. Could just carve a bowl and fill it with seed for the turkeys. More posts if anything develops.
    WQJudge