Thread: Mesquite End Grain NE bowl

Mesquite End Grain NE bowl

I picked up a load of Mesquite on Friday, there were some good sized logs and they were soaking wet. It was almost dark when I got home, but I couldn't help but get out the chainsaw and cut off a slab from the end of one of the logs.
    This end grain NE bowl is the result. It's just under 16" at the widest by about 2 1/2". It's just got 1 coat of Danish oil so far. It's still very wet, so I'll add more finish after it's dried out a bit.
    PICT0001.JPGPICT0003.JPG

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

now that is pretty wood. Hope it dries well for you & it would make a neat centerpiece
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

that's pretty, almost like the bottom better than the top

Kathy, what should one expect in the way of checking as it dries.... and is there anything that could be done to reduce any dramatic changes?

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Fred, I'm not too worried about checking. The center section had some punky areas, so I really soaked it with shellac and topped it off with some CA before taking the final cuts. The areas that do worry me are the bark inclusions and the bark rim. There's a chance that the cambium layer will pull away from the bark as it shrinks, in which case I'll pull the bark and cambium layer off and probably burn the edge.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

A rally beautiful piece Kathy. I think it would look great with the natural yellow edge if you loose the bark. Either way you can't loose.

Nice use of the unusual section. You got to love Mesquite.

Well done and very unique wood.

Kathy that looks really nice! Should dry out well and look great. Now my wife just said the bottom looked like two butt cheeks. But she is a sick woman, that's why I love here.

Beautifully done Kathy. I've only turned mesquite a few times, but sure enjoyed it. Last one I just finished (waiting to take some pics) was a natural edge in typical half log style but the outer bark didn't hold on. I left the sapwood without burning and still looks cool...not that some pyro wouldn't enhance it.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!